Let’s make soup!
Apparently it’s national soup month, and between that and the weather, it’s definitely a day to share a soup recipe. I know I am not alone in often making soups out of what I have to hand, but sometimes I do follow recipes or have a bit more of a plan about things I want to put together. This carrot sweet potato mushroom soup is one of the slightly more planned soups. I don’t know about anyone else, but I have found that since I have started this blog in particular, I find myself seeing recipes and immediately either thinking how I could adapt it or that it reminds me I like a particular ingredient and must find a use for it again soon. Sadly I also end up thinking about ideas as I am trying to get to sleep as well. Not particularly helpful for sleep, but it does come up with some nice ideas like this.
We have been big in to sweet potatoes recently, partly as my son has decided he likes them so it’s one to embrace, but I am a big fan as well. They are great at any time, but particularly in the colder months, they have that fantastic warm smoothness that is so comforting and the flavor works with lots of others. Mushroom soup is one that I always remember fondly from when I was younger as having a similar comfort value, so I decided to try them together. Carrot I more added for something a little lighter and brighter in the mix.
The resulting carrot sweet potato mushroom soup was a delicious, smooth and warming bowl that is perfect for colder days, like today. I don’t know what the weather is like where you are, but we have a blizzard here and my toddler son is feeling a bit sorry for himself with a cold, which he has kindly passed on to me as well, so we are staying inside and eating lots of comforting foods like this. So, have a dig in the back of your cupboard and refrigerator and see if you have the ingredients, it won’t take you long to make and even less time to enjoy.
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 onion
- 8 oz carrots
- 10 oz sweet potatoes
- 6 oz mushrooms
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp flour
- 1pint/450ml stock
- ½ cup/120ml milk
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Dice the onion and add to the pan.
- While the onion is cooking, peel the carrots and sweet potatoes and medium dice. Add to the pan and stir as they are ready.
- Cover the pan and allow the vegetables to sweat for a couple minutes.
- Meanwhile dice the mushrooms. Add to the pan, check that there is a little fat and if need be add a little more butter or oil.
- Stir and cook a minute, cover and sweat another minute, then add the spices and flour.
- Stir well then add the stock. Cover, bring the pan to the boil and reduce to a simmer for around 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and puree.
- Add the milk and serve.
Sharing with Let’s Get Real Friday Party.