You might find it a little odd to know that despite the fact I write this blog week after week, and am fairly organized in planning what I post, I frequently don’t know what I’m eating for lunch. Especially at the weekend, somehow, unless I specifically want to make something I am looking to post, I usually think about it a few minutes before. Part of the reason is that we often go to a park or museum so we may eat out or take a packed lunch. However recently, we have had more days at home over lunch. One of my go-tos this time of year is soup and this delicata squash soup was a delicious recent creation.
Using delicata squash
Delicata squash is one I am newer to, but it’s one I have grown to love and use in various ways. It has a lovely mellow, slightly sweet flavor and best of all, it’s easy to prepare as you don’t need to peel it. The skin is relatively thin and edible. We loved the cranberry maple delicata squash galette and maple roast delicata squash with turkey I have shared previously, but this delicata squash soup is definitely an even easier way to enjoy it.
How it’s made
This soup really could hardly get easier as all you do is cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and roast it until tender. Blend it up with some stock and that’s it for the soup. For the topping, you cook the onions in a little oil, add the chickpeas and curry powder and cook a little more before adding it to your soup.
This delicata squash soup is easy to make, smooth and tasty. The soup has a relatively mild taste with all the creaminess you’d expect from a squash soup, without any cream (in fact it’s vegan). The chickpeas and onions add a touch of warmth, as well as a nice contrast in texture. It’s a delicious, easy and healthy soup that’s perfect for a cold day. So add some brightness to your day and make some.
- 14oz/400g delicata squash (1 squash)
- ½ onion
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼cup/4tbsp chickpeas
- ½tsp curry powder
- 1 cup/240ml stock
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Lay on baking sheet/tray cut side down and roast for 30min until tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion and cook in the oil about 15min until gently brown hen add the chickpeas. Cook another couple mins then add curry powder. Stir and cook a minute or two then remove from heat.
- Once the squash has cooked, roughly chop it and put in a blender with the stock. Blend until smooth.
- Serve topped with the onions and chickpeas.
Welcome to #SoupWeek, hosted by Palatable Pastime. This week is all about delicious and warming soups. Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on FaceBook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram using the hashtag #SoupWeek. We also have a #SoupWeek Pinterest Board where you can see all of the offerings in one easy to access spot! What a great way to stay warm in cold weather!
- Asian Diet Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Grandma’s Copycat Kelly’s Cheese Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Rotisserie Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder from The Frugal Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Delicata Squash Soup with Curried Chickpeas and Onions from Caroline’s Cooking