This asparagus soup is easy to make, light and perfect both for cooler days and as it starts to warm up.
I know you might normally associate soup with cold weather, but it can still be great even as the weather is warming up, especially when it’s a lighter, fresh-tasting soup like this asparagus soup. It’s really easy to make and makes a great appetizer, or bulk it out for a tasty lunch. This version is given an extra green kick and is both dairy free and vegan.
I’ve loved experimenting with asparagus this year. While I love a simple roasted asparagus with parmesan, my more recent creations featuring asparagus – breakfast flatbread and baked swordfish with chermoula – were also immediate hits. Even my surprisingly delicious cauliflower risotto snuck some in.
Many years ago I worked as a tour guide in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and I often ended up in Germany during white asparagus season. Bavaria in particular is a big fan of white asparagus and you’d find it in every market and on pretty much every menu during it’s short season.
Naturally, I had to take some home for my mum, and she would often make white asparagus soup. I loved it’s delicate flavor but don’t think I ever made it myself.
Using green asparagus doesn’t give quite such a delicate flavor, but it’s still a deliciously fresh, light soup. You can make it with cream which makes it, well, creamy, but it’s also great like this for a fresher edge.
How it’s made
This soup is very easy to make as all you do is soften some onion, add the asparagus and cook a couple minutes. Add the stock and simmer a few minutes before adding the greens. I used arugula, partly as that’s what I had, but spinach would work well too. Once it has wilted down, blend it up and serve. I topped it off with a little mint oil (simply mint crushed into olive oil) to add to the fresh edge.
Asparagus soup is such a comforting taste of spring. Light, easy and good for you too.
- 1 onion medium
- 12 oz asparagus 340g, trimmed weight
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups light stock 600ml, vegetable/chicken as prefer/to diet
- 1 cup arugula fairly well packed/25g rocket or spinach
- 1 tbsp mint
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Roughly dice the onion, slice the trimmed asparagus and finely chop or mince the garlic.
- Warm the oil over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook for a couple minutes until it starts to soften then add the asparagus and garlic. Cook another couple minutes until becoming tender.
- Add the stock, bring to a simmer and cook around 5-10min until asparagus is tender. Add the arugula (or spinach), wilt it down then blend the soup either with a hand blender or transfer to a blender.
- While soup is cooking, roughly chop then crush the mint, add the oil and crush so the mint and oil are well combined.
- Season the soup to taste, serve and drizzle over the minted oil.
Try these other tasty soups:
Remember to pin for later!