This asparagus soup is easy to make, light and perfect both for cooler days and as it starts to warm up.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I know you might normally associate soup with cold weather, but it can still be great even as the weather is warming up, especially when it's a lighter, fresh-tasting soup like this asparagus soup. It's really easy to make and makes a great appetizer, or bulk it out for a tasty lunch.
This version is given an extra green kick and is both dairy free and vegan.
I've loved experimenting with asparagus this year. While I love a simple roasted asparagus with parmesan, my more recent creations featuring asparagus - breakfast flatbread and baked swordfish with chermoula - were also immediate hits. Even my surprisingly delicious cauliflower risotto snuck some in.
Many years ago I worked as a tour guide in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and I often ended up in Germany during white asparagus season. Bavaria in particular is a big fan of white asparagus and you'd find it in every market and on pretty much every menu during it's short season.
Naturally, I had to take some home for my mum, and she would often make white asparagus soup. I loved it's delicate flavor but don't think I ever made it myself.
Using green asparagus doesn't give quite such a delicate flavor, but it's still a deliciously fresh, light soup. You can make it with cream which makes it, well, creamy, but it's also great like this for a fresher edge.
How to make this asparagus soup
This soup is very easy to make as all you do is soften some onion, add the asparagus and cook a couple minutes. Add the stock and simmer a few minutes before adding the greens. I used arugula, partly as that's what I had, but spinach would work well too. Once it has wilted down, blend it up and serve. I topped it off with a little mint oil (simply mint crushed into olive oil) to add to the fresh edge.
Asparagus soup is such a comforting taste of spring. Light, easy and good for you too.
Try these other tasty soups:
- German pancake soup (flädlesuppe)
- Pea and mint soup
- Easy wonton soup
- Mushroom fennel soup
- Plus get more spring recipes (Including more ideas for asparagus) in the archives.
- 1 onion medium
- 12 oz asparagus 340g, trimmed weight
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups light stock 600ml, vegetable/chicken as prefer/to diet
- 1 cup arugula fairly well packed/25g rocket or spinach
- 1 tbsp mint
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Roughly dice the onion, slice the trimmed asparagus and finely chop or mince the garlic.
- Warm the oil over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook for a couple minutes until it starts to soften then add the asparagus and garlic. Cook another couple minutes until becoming tender.
- Add the stock, bring to a simmer and cook around 5-10min until asparagus is tender. Add the arugula (or spinach), wilt it down then blend the soup either with a hand blender or transfer to a blender.
- While soup is cooking, roughly chop then crush the mint, add the oil and crush so the mint and oil are well combined.
- Season the soup to taste, serve and drizzle over the minted oil.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Remember to pin for later!