So this Sunday is fairly exciting for me as I will be hosting SundaySupper for the first time, alongside veteran host DB aka Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts. The theme for this week is Back to School, since it is, after all, that time of year for so many.
Back to school has lots of implications from a food perspective, from potentially rushed breakfasts, lunches needing to be packed, after school snacks and meals in the evening that may need to be cooked quickly and/or for different meal times. All of these can be a challenge, particularly if you want to try to keep them fairly healthy.
While you might have had a routine before, chances are things have changed over the summer break and so you almost need to re-learn how to manage all of these things. That’s where this week’s contributors to Sunday Supper have put their heads together to try to help, with ideas for food at almost any time of day. You can see the list of all the great foods that will be dished up this Sunday below.
The theme of back to school is particularly special for me this year as while my son isn’t of school age yet, he will be starting a new preschool in September which will need an earlier start and me giving him a packed lunch.
It’s also going to be around the time we are expecting number 2, so I can see me needing to have things fairly organized for the mornings, if I can, such as with Swiss bircher muesli or mango and strawberry overnight oats prepared the night before. I also know as his appetite grows we will keep needing different healthy snacks, such as the banana chocolate chip muffins I’ll be sharing on Sunday and others like the spiced pumpkin beetroot muffins, homemade cheddar crackers and healthy carrot and banana bread that I have shared before.
No doubt we’ll also be having a number of quick dinners as well, such as crab pasta or llescas (bread pizza/loaded toast). I’m also looking forward to discovering all the ideas others bring on Sunday – do check back to see all the various links updated directly to the posts.
In the meantime, take a look at the ideas that will be shared and get ready to come back to explore and find out more on Sunday:
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Ideas for the Lunchbox
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing with the Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
After School Snacks and Beverages
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit ‘n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- “Nut Butter” Rice Crispy Balls by Books n’ Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
School Night Suppers
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweets to End the Day