These baked eggs with mushrooms and asparagus are a deliciously comforting and easy one dish brunch. With a tasty combination of earthy and fresh flavors, it’s one you’ll come back to again and again.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek whose sponsors provided samples. All opinions remain mine. This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Baked eggs is one of those dishes I have had on my list to make for a while but it has never quite happened. Pancakes are eternally popular in our house at the weekend, either smaller ones with carrot and apple, or an individual Dutch baby pancake.
Recently, however, I had baked eggs at a local restaurant which really convinced me to get on with making it myself soon. This version is a little different from what I had there, but is also easier and so tasty.
It’s a delicious mix of soft eggs, a little cheese and flavorful vegetables all cooked in one pan. Because if you’re anything like me, you need easy in the morning!
How to make baked eggs
Making this is really easy, as there’s not much to do and it doesn’t take long. I’ve drawn on this recipe with a couple of my own tweaks.
- Cut the asparagus into roughly 1 inch lengths and slice the mushrooms.
- Add the vegetables to the skillet along with a little oil and put in oven.
- Once the vegetables are tender, move them slightly to the side to make two spaces for the eggs.
- Crack eggs into the spaces, pour over a little milk and top with cheese.
- Bake until whites are translucent but yolks still soft.
I love that you only need one pan to make this and it doesn’t take long either. The only tricky bit is trying to get the timing right on cooking the eggs, as the hot skillet starts cooking them as soon as you put them in the pan, and after you take them out the oven too.
So, it’s worth erring on the side of less cooking time. That said, they’ll still be tasty even if cooked a little more.
These baked eggs with mushrooms and asparagus make for an easy, comforting dish that’s perfect for brunch, though quite honestly I’d eat it for any meal. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to make, which is just what I for one need in the morning. But the result is so tasty and definitely something I’ll be making again.
Try these other egg-celent brunch ideas:
- Shakshuka with meat
- Menemen (Turkish scrambled eggs)
- Eggs Royale (smoked salmon eggs Benedict)
- Plus get more breakfast and brunch recipes in the archives.
Tools for this recipe (affiliate links)
I’d recommend a small skillet, such as the Lodge 8in Cast Iron Skillet I used for this recipe.
See more of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
Baked eggs with mushrooms and asparagus
- 2 oz mushrooms 55g
- 2 oz asparagus 55g, trimmed weight
- 1 clove garlic small
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 3 tbsp cheddar grated, or a cheddar-parmesan blend
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Preheat oven to 40F/200C. Slice the mushrooms, cutting bigger slices in half, and cut the asparagus into bite-sized lengths. Cut the garlic into small dice and toss the mushrooms, asparagus and garlic in the oil in a small skillet.
- Put the skillet with the vegetables in the pre-heated oven for approximately 10 minutes until the asparagus is just tender.
- Create two little spaces in the skillet for the eggs and crack them in. Drizzle over the milk then sprinkle on the cheese along with a little salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake for approximately another 7-8 minutes (depending how well done you want the eggs and on your oven), but keep a close eye on it towards the end. Remember it will continue to cook a little in the hot skillet so you want to take it out slightly early. Serve in the skillet.
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Blueberry Lemonade from Family Around The Table
Fresh Squeeze Blackberry Lemonade from Cooking With Carlee
Guava Mimosas from Seduction in the Kitchen
Guava Moscow Mule from Love and Confections
Lightening Lavender Margarita from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Mango Mimosa from April Golightly
Rum Punch for Brunch! from Hardly A Goddess
Sparkling Lavender Lemonade from Snacks and Sips
Strawberry Lavender Smoothie from Eat Move Make
BrunchWeek Appetizers and Salads:
Keto Chicken Salad from Platter Talk
Pecan Grape Salad from For the Love of Food
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Breakfast Pizza from Kate’s Recipe Box
Cheesy Scrambled Egg Stuffed Popovers from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Fried Green Tomato BLT Benedicts from The Spiffy Cookie
Ham, Egg, & Spinach Breakfast Bites from Sweet Beginnings
Roasted Carrot and Beet Frittatas from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Bake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Sheet Pan Mexican Frittata from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Soy-Brined Hard-Boiled Eggs from Shockingly Delicious
The Best Avocado Toast from Simply Healthyish Recipes
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Stuffed Muffins from Big Bear’s Wife
Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls from Cookaholic Wife
How to Build A Crepe Bar from The Crumby Kitchen
Salted Caramel Peach Sweet Rolls from The Redhead Baker
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Cheesy Baked Breakfast Tacos from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Mashed Potato, Cheddar & Bacon Waffles from Tip Garden
Zucchini Cheese Pancakes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Chocolate Banana Cookies with Sprinkles from Who Needs A Cape?
Cinnamon Roll Cake from Books n’ Cooks
Espresso Banana Bread from PasstheSushi
Spring Blooms Cake from The Mandatory Mooch
Vegan Coffee Cinnamon Rolls from The Baking Fairy
Remember to pin for later!
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Joyjolt, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Sarcastic Cooking, Dessert for Two, Sweet Phi, and The Little Ferraro Kitchen for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.
The #BrunchWeek giveaway has now closed, but was open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner were checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners were selected. The prize packages were sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond once chosen, or they forfeit the prize and another winner(s) will be chosen. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.