This beet apple salad with maple vinaigrette is incredibly easy to make and packed with autumnal flavor. Crunchy, flavorful and great as an appetizer or side. Thanks to the Appleweek sponsors for providing products to aid recipe creation and items for the giveaway.
Salads go very much in and out of favor in our house. We tend to eat them much more often in the summer as a lighter side, with Mexican street corn salad being a big favorite this year. Then I sometimes make a heartier salad for lunch, like a Vietnamese chicken salad or wild rice salad.
However as the weather cools, I sometimes forget about them a bit more. Then I make one that’s perfect for this time of year and I get back in the habit. This beet apple salad is so incredibly easy to make and is also very flexible in how you serve it.
It’s perfect as a side – think steak, roast chicken, salmon and more – plus also great as an appetizer or even lunch. I’m already thinking of more things to pair it with.
One of the things that really makes this salad for me is the maple vinaigrette. It’s so incredibly easy to make, but adds a wonderful pop of flavor.
Being a relatively simple salad, you also want to make sure you use good ingredients since there’s no real room to hide. That’s particularly true of the apples – go for something with a good flavor, crisp, and a nice sweet-tart balance.
I was lucky enough to receive some delicious Envy apples as part of Appleweek and they were perfect for this. They also make a delicious snack on their own – even my kids seem to appreciate the difference in flavor and have been going through them at a great old rate.
How to make this beet apple salad
This salad could hardly be easier:
- Toast the pine nuts;
- Peel and grate the beets;
- Core and slice the apple;
- Shake or whisk the vinaigrette ingredients;
- Put it all together in a bowl.
This beet apple salad salad has a wonderful balance of sweet-savory flavors, plenty of crunch and takes mere minutes to make. It’s versatile, vegan, and one you definitely need to try soon.
Beet apple salad with maple vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated beets (2 1/2 - 3oz approx, 70-85g beetroot)
- 1/2 apple
- 2 handfuls arugula (rocket)
For maple vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Gently toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet/frying pan or under a broiler/grill. Keep a close eye on them so they don't burn then set aside.
- Grate the beet and core and slice the apple.
- Put the arugula in the bottom of a bowl, top with the grated beet, apple and pine nuts.
- Shake together the vinaigrette ingredients (oil, vinegar and maple syrup) in a small jar or whisk in a small bowl. Drizzle over the salad, toss and serve.
This post is being shared as part of Appleweek 2018 – unfortunately the giveaway is now closed but be sure to look at all the other delicious recipes being shared today!
- 1-Pot Apple Sausage Meatballs by Books n’ Cooks
- ABC Sheet Pan Dinner by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Bacon Goat Cheese Salad by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Apple Bourbon Float by Our Good Life
- Apple Butter Overnight Chia Oatmeal by Love and Confections
- Apple Cinnamon Layer Cake with Brown Butter Streusel by The Baking Fairy
- Apple Cornbread Cakelets by The Redhead Baker
- Apple Crumble Muffins by The Anthony Kitchen
- Apple Noodle Kugel by Palatable Pastime
- Caramel Apple Pie Dip by Mildly Meandering
- Apple Pie Donuts by Daily Dish Recipes
- Apple Pie Turnovers by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Apple Pork Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Cranberry Crock Pot Stuffing by West Via Midwest
- Baked Chai-Spiced Apple Chips by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Beet Apple Salad with Maple Vinaigrette by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Butterscotch Harvest Cake by Tip Garden
- Caramel Apple Cookie Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Frozen Custard by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Cold Apple Cider with Caramel Infused Rum by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Creamy Blue Cheese & Sliced Apple Crostini by Who Needs a Cape?
- Deconstructed Chocolate Caramel Mini Apple Pie by The Freshman Cook
- Deconstructed Skillet Apple Dumplings by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fall Panzanella Salad by House of Nash Eats
- Fresh Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze by Soulfully Made
- German Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting by Cooking With Carlee
- Glazed Spiced Apple Cider Cookies by Savory Moments
- Hasselback Apples by Kate’s Recipe Box
- PB Apple Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Skillet Apple and Sausage Stuffing Recipe by Lemon Blossoms
- Skinny Apple Crisp by The Saucy Fig
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter by Shockingly Delicious
- One Pan Pork Chops with Apples and Cinnamon by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Out of This World Apple Cake by Family Around the Table
Disclaimer: Thank you AppleWeek Sponsors: Swiss Diamond, Nordic Ware, Envy Apples, Imperial Sugar, The Spice House, Rodelle Vanilla, Flahavan’s Irish Oats and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The AppleWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The AppleWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the AppleWeek posts or entry.
Remember to pin for later!