Easy to make and with a tasty mix of ingredients, this vegetarian breakfast burrito is a great way to get your day off to a good start.
I’m not really sure why but I was never aware of breakfast burritos until I moved to the US. It probably has a bit to do with the fact that Mexican or Tex-Mex food is pretty limited in the UK – there are a few better places appearing but it is still not a particularly prominent food type and a lot of what you can get is pretty bland and caked in cheese and grease. True, some of what you get in the US is not much better, but it is at least popular enough and there are enough good Mexican chefs in the country to have the possibility of better options.
Anyway, I am pretty sure breakfast burritos are an American invention in any case, as I don’t remember ever seeing them in Mexico. From what I can tell, they are a true Californian invention, so it’s fitting that’s where I first had them. I was lucky to enjoy a pretty amazing vegetarian breakfast burrito in Santa Cruz when we were there a couple years ago, and since I have had a few goes at making my own version at home.
What is a breakfast burrito?
In simplest terms, a breakfast burrito is Mexican-inspired flavor added to scrambled eggs wrapped in a tortilla. Exactly what you put in with the eggs varies, but onions always help add some good flavor and beans are a pretty good option as well. I like a little crunch from pepper and replicating some of the freshness of salsa with tomatoes and cilantro/ coriander. A little cheese is always good too. Some add Mexican chorizo or other meat, but I guess maybe with having had vegetarian first when I was in California, that’s where I have tended to go myself.
These are incredibly easy to make, I do it all in one pan and it’s ready in no time and makes a really tasty breakfast/brunch as well as being a great option if you feel like more breakfast-like food at another point in the day. You can add in some cool avocado or sour cream, or spice it up with hot sauce, or both. It’s got a wonderful comfort factor but without the hours cooking that so many comfort foods have.
Eggs, veggies, a touch of cheese and spice if you want it, all wrapped up in a soft tortilla. This vegetarian breakfast burrito is one delicious start to any day.
Vegetarian breakfast burrito
- 1/2 onion small
- 1/4 red pepper or yellow/orange
- 1 tomato small, or 1/2 large
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp black beans
- 4 eggs or 3 if extra-large, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp grated cheese
- 6 stems cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 tortillas flour or corn
- Sour cream, avocado, hot sauce, extra cheese
- Dice the onion, pepper and tomato fairly small.
- Heat the oil in a skillet/frying pan or shallow pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for a couple minutes until softening.
- Add the pepper and cook another minute or two then add the tomato. Reduce the heat a little if sticking or drying out.
- Add the beans and mix through then add the eggs. Cook, stirring regularly, as if you are cooking scrambled eggs. Take off the heat just before they are fully cooked as they will continue to cook a bit after in the pan.
- Meanwhile warm the tortillas gently (in microwave, under grill or in a skillet/frying pan) - if you forget don't worry it's not the end of the world.
- Add the cheese and cilantro to the eggs and mix through then fill the two tortillas. Add any or all of your preferred toppings and serve immediately.
This post was originally published in June 2015 and has been updated, primarily with new photos.
Try these other tasty eggs starts to your day:
Remember to pin for later!