Easy to make and with a tasty mix of ingredients, this vegetarian breakfast burrito is a great way to get your day off to a good start.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I’m not really sure why but I was never aware of breakfast burritos until I moved to the US. It probably has a bit to do with the fact that Mexican or Tex-Mex food is pretty limited in the UK. There are a few better places appearing but it is still not a particularly prominent food type and a lot of what you can get is pretty bland and caked in cheese and grease.
True, some of what you get in the US is not much better, but it is at least popular enough and there are enough good Mexican chefs in the country to have the possibility of better options.
Anyway, I am pretty sure breakfast burritos are an American invention in any case, as I don’t remember ever seeing them in Mexico. From what I can tell, they are a true Californian invention, so it’s fitting that’s where I first had them.
I was lucky to enjoy a pretty amazing vegetarian breakfast burrito in Santa Cruz when we were there a couple years ago, and since I have had a few goes at making my own version at home.
What is a breakfast burrito?
In simplest terms, a breakfast burrito is a tortilla filled with eggs, usually scrambled with added Mexican flavors. Exactly what you put in with the eggs varies, but onions always help add some good flavor and beans are a pretty good option as well.
I like a little crunch from pepper and replicating some of the freshness of salsa with tomatoes and cilantro/ coriander. A little cheese is always good too.
Some add Mexican chorizo or other meat, but I guess maybe with my first taste being a vegetarian breakfast burrito when I was in California, that’s become my go-to at home.
How to make this vegetarian breakfast burrito
These are incredibly easy to make. I do it all in one pan and it’s ready in no time and makes a really tasty breakfast/brunch as well as being a great option if you feel like more breakfast-like food at another point in the day.
- First chop up the onion, pepper and tomato.
- Soften the onion in a skillet then add the pepper, cook a minute, then add the tomato.
- Add the beans and eggs then cook through, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile warm the tortillas.
- Add the cheese and cilantro to the eggs, fill the tortillas with the mixture, roll up and enjoy.
You can add in some cool avocado or sour cream, or spice it up with hot sauce, or both. It’s got a wonderful comfort factor but without the hours cooking that so many comfort foods have.
Eggs, veggies, a touch of cheese and spice if you want it, all wrapped up in a soft tortilla. This vegetarian breakfast burrito is one delicious start to any day.
If you like this, you may also like these similar dishes:
- Tex Mex migas
- Menemen (Turkish egg scramble)
- Overnight breakfast bake
- Plus get lots more breakfast and brunch recipes in the archives.
Vegetarian breakfast burrito
- 1/2 onion small
- 1/4 red pepper or yellow/orange
- 1 tomato small, or 1/2 large
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp black beans
- 4 eggs or 3 if extra-large, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp grated cheese
- 6 stems cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 tortillas flour or corn
- Sour cream, avocado, hot sauce, extra cheese
- Dice the onion, pepper and tomato fairly small.
- Heat the oil in a skillet/frying pan or shallow pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for a couple minutes until softening.
- Add the pepper and cook another minute or two then add the tomato. Reduce the heat a little if sticking or drying out.
- Add the beans and mix through then add the eggs. Cook, stirring regularly, as if you are cooking scrambled eggs. Take off the heat just before they are fully cooked as they will continue to cook a bit after in the pan.
- Meanwhile warm the tortillas gently (in microwave, under grill or in a skillet/frying pan) – if you forget don’t worry it’s not the end of the world.
- Add the cheese and cilantro to the eggs and mix through then fill the two tortillas. Add any or all of your preferred toppings and serve immediately.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
This post was originally published in June 2015 and has been updated, primarily with new photos.