So did you guess what his Valentine’s breakfast might be? I know when I shared ‘her’ breakfast I didn’t give you much of a hint other than the shape. But maybe if I say bacon, chorizo and onions you might have a bit of an ‘of course’ moment. Well, even if not, I’m hoping you are going to like this breakfast frittata as it is truly delicious.
I’ll admit, though, that making this was a bit disastrous. It did feel like almost everything that could go wrong did. My bacon flopped over, the tomato wouldn’t blend with the egg, the egg leaked out, then my son conveniently needed something right then as I put it under the grill and it burnt. However, I learnt from doing it and so you can learn from my mistakes.
So, things I found out –
- trim the bacon so it’s the same thickness and put the meatier side down, as it’s a bit heavier (and then you get a crispier bit at the top too);
- if it does still flop a bit, you can prop it up with cocktail sticks between the mold and the bacon;
- don’t use a slightly bent baking tray as I did (duh) as the egg will leak. In fact it may leak anyway on a tray, so a mold is better f you have it or else use a muffin tin – they may be smaller and round but they mean it all stays in and more bacon per bite!
- watch as you have it under the grill to finish off as it really won’t take long and can quickly burn. If it does, though, you can trim off the top without it impacting the overall flavor.
Some probably seem relatively obvious, I know, but my excuse is I’ve been a bit ill and so probably wasn’t all that with it when I made these. Which is kind of crazy given I have actually had this idea in mind for weeks, just never quite managed to make it. I’m still glad I did, though, as it was really tasty and I must make it again without all the issues, I just didn’t want to delay posting after ‘her’ breakfast as that wouldn’t be fair. Even though I was tempted as I don’t think the photos do the yummy taste justice. But, I thought it might amuse some of you that I can have my own share of mishaps cooking, even when I have thought about something for weeks. And hopefully the thought of all that meaty goodness in with the egg will tempt you to give it a go. It tastes great, no matter what it looks like.
- 2 slices streaky bacon
- a few slices of onion ideally red
- a couple slices Spanish chorizo
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp tomato paste/puree
Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
Trim the bacon to be equal width then line the outside of your mold, meatier side down.
Finely chop some onion and add a layer to the bottom of the mold.
Cut the slices of chorizo in to small chunks and lay on top of the onion.
Place in the oven for approx 15 minutes until bacon cooking but not yet crisp and chorizo has rendered some fat.
Meanwhile whisk the egg and the tomato paste together. If it doesn't blend, try smoothing the tomato paste against the side of the bowl.
After 15min, add the egg into the center of the mold, over the onion and chorizo and grate a little cheese over the top.
Pt in the oven again for around 10 minutes until it looks relatively firm then finish under the grill for around 2-4minutes to give a slight color to the top.