This 4-ingredient butternut squash sauce is quick and easy to make. Perfectly paired with gnocchi, it also works well with pasta. Tasty and comforting.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I mentioned when I shared the potato and spinach gnocchi recipe, that my favorite way to enjoy them was with a butternut squash sauce, and so I didn't want to wait too long in sharing it with you. This recipe came about a little by accident, as often happens.
I had been thinking about sauces before, but was spurred on after a conversation with friends. One friend had said she had liked the sound of my acorn squash gnocchi, but then had been a little intimidated by the fact they were gnocchi made from scratch - she had thought it was a sauce at first.
I decided I wanted to make some good sauces that would be good with homemade gnocchi if you have the time, but that would also be good with store-bought if you don't. Then, shortly after I was making my potato and spinach gnocchi again and didn't have enough potato, I substituted some squash.
I still had a bit of squash left so had a little lightbulb moment. Make a butternut squash sauce. So here it is, a delicious and easy butternut squash sauce.
How to make butternut squash sauce
This is really one of the simplest recipes as it only consists of pureed butternut squash, cream, parmesan and a little nutmeg. But they go together to make a deliciously smooth, flavorful sauce that works perfectly with gnocchi.
It turns something that is already a comfort food into something even more comforting. We had it with gnocchi here, but it would also be good with pasta as well.
Thankfully, even with an increasingly fussy toddler, this passed the taste-test. Which is good, as we were keen to have it again soon. It's just too tasty, smooth, creamy and with a great flavor to have just once in a while.
This butternut squash sauce is so easy to make, especially if you have leftover cooked squash. It makes a delicious change from your more usual sauces for gnocchi and pasta and works so well. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.
Try these other tasty ways to serve gnocchi and pasta:
- Gnocchi with pork and fennel
- Creamy bacon sauce with spinach (for pasta/gnocchi)
- Pesto alla Trapanese (a Sicilian pesto made with almonds and raw tomato)
- Hidden vegetable pasta sauce
- Plus get more sides recipes in the archives.
Butternut squash sauce
- 5 oz butternut squash 140g, ½ cup pureed
- ½ cup heavy cream 120ml double cream
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup parmesan 20g, finely grated
- Peel and cook the butternut squash, if not using leftovers, as you prefer - steam, boil or roast. Puree to form a smooth paste.
- Warm the cream and nutmeg over a low to medium heat in a small pan. Don't let it boil.
- Once warm, whisk in the squash then the parmesan and stir/whisk so that it is combined and cheese melted.
- Serve over gnocchi or pasta.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Remember to pin for later!