These caramelized apple and bacon jam crostini are a delicious sweet-savory mix, easy to prepare largely in advance and sure to be a hit with guests.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
For whatever reason, we don't have appetizers all that often in our house. I say that and in truth I know why: most of the time there are two hungry young boys that just need fed so it's best to get straight to main. If dinner takes a while, it's because one of them is not eating properly, not because we are having a relaxing multi-course meal.
However appetizers can be great when entertaining, as well as making good snacks so I feel I should make them a little more. These caramelized apple and bacon jam crostini were something I came up with for #appleweek but they are so good, I know we'll have them again.
What is crostini?
Crostini are basically thin crispy toasts with whatever topping you feel like putting on them. Usually crostini are made from a baguette or something similar, brushed with oil and crisped up in the oven.
You can top them with things like cheese, cured meats or a mix of a few different things. The latter is exactly what we have in these caramelized apple and bacon jam crostini which have a smear of goat's cheese, a slice of caramelized apple and a dollop of bacon jam. Wonderful flavors, that all work so well together.
How to make these apple and bacon jam crostini
You might think there's a lot to do for these crostini, but really they're not that hard to make. Plus, you can do most of it ahead of time too so that all you do before serving is spread on a little goats cheese and pile the apple and jam on top.
You can make the apples, crostini and jam ahead of time, and all are pretty hands-off. Bacon jam is the only one that takes more than about 15min but you can buy it if you want to cheat a little. However I'd recommend the apple bacon jam I shared yesterday, or the cranberry bacon jam I shared previously.
These caramelized apple and bacon jam crostini have such a delicious sweet-savory combination, as well as the fantastic contrast of the crunchy bread, soft apple and slightly gooey jam. It's such a great mix that we all instantly loved. Give them a try and I'm sure you, and any guests you served them, will too.
Looking for more crostini-like recipes? Try these!
Caramelized apple and bacon jam crostini
- 1 small baguette
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter 15g
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 apple 150g
- 2 oz soft goats cheese 55g, approx
- bacon jam see link below for recipe
For the crostini base
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
- Cut thin slices at an angle from the baguette and brush on both sides with olive oil. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet/tray and bake for approx 10-15min until lightly browned. You may need to turn the baking sheet or the bread slices part way through. The crostini bases can be made a few days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.
For the apples
- Peel and core the apple and cut into medium-thin slices. Melt the butter in a small-medium skillet and add the sugar. Stir so the sugar dissolves then add the apple slices. Cook, turning once or twice, until the apples are soft and starting to brown slightly. Remove from heat. These can also be made ahead a day or two and stored in a container in the fridge. You will probably want to bring them to room temperature before using.
- To assemble, spread a thin layer of the goats cheese on each slice of toasted bread, add a slice of apple and top with a small spoonful of bacon jam.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Enjoy lots more tasty apple recipes as part of AppleWeek:
1 Minute Caramel Apple Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Brown Betty by A Palatable Pastime
Apple Bundt Cake With Cider Caramel by Cooking With Carlee
Apple Cinnamon Shortcakes by Jolene's Recipe Journal
Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Apple Fritters by Grumpy's Honeybunch
Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple and Peppered Bacon by Feeding Big
Individual Apple Crisp by Family Around The Table
Smoky Apple Pulled Pork by Amy's Cooking Adventures
Slow Cooker Apple Butter by The Crumby Cupcake
Remember to pin for later!