You may remember I decided to try to find some more uses for chestnut flour when I was making pancakes a few months back, but it just didn’t quite feel the right season. Now, however, as I am starting to get all excited about fall foods (as is today’s Sunday Supper theme) seems like the perfect time to experiment with it again. Chestnuts roasted on an open fire are not just for Christmas in Europe, they are a delicious treat you’ll find in markets pretty much all through fall and winter. Chestnut goes really well with things like apple and pear, and the gently nutty flavor is one of many tasty things going on in these delicious chestnut and pear cupcakes. I know it’s pear twice in one week, but these are so worth it. While they are relatively sweet, without the frosting there is no refined sugar and overall they are certainly on the healthier side, but they are certainly not lacking on flavor. They are also gluten-free as well so easily enjoyed by even more people.
These chestnut and pear cupcakes are pretty quick and easy to make too – just grate the pear, mix the wet ingredients together then add the dry ingredients, spoon into your tin and bake. They come out a lovely light, moist consistency, no doubt helped by the pear, and have a delicious mix of autumnal flavors from the chestnut and almond flours, cinnamon and maple syrup. I made them in mini cupcake size so you get a delicious little bite (and an excuse to eat another as they’re only little…).
To be honest, the caramel buttercream is not entirely needed – they are really tasty without it as well and we enjoyed most without – but it does go really well and is delicious too. Plus, I know for some people a cupcake isn’t a cupcake without frosting, so it was only fair I at least gave you a tasty option. The caramel in the buttercream is leftover from making banoffee pie, but as with that recipe, you can use ready-make dulce de leche or really whatever caramel you prefer. The flavor is great with the cupcake, both the caramel and the butteriness, so if you like a little frosting, definitely give it a try.
These chestnut and pear cupcakes are so delicious, went down well with everyone, are easy to make and relatively healthy so I can definitely see me making them again over the coming months. They have that perfect flavor to ease you in to autumnal, or even winter, foods without going down the full on pumpkin route. They are perfectly moist and slightly nutty little bites of yumminess.
Chestnut and pear cupcakes with caramel buttercream frosting (GF)
Moist and flavorful, these cupcakes are a delicious taste of fall.
For the cupcakes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil 4tbsp melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup grated pear approx 1 pear, 175g
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup chestnut flour 60g
- 1/4 cup almond flour 28g
- 1/4 cup rice flour 35g
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the buttercream frosting
- 8 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp caramel I used leftover from banoffee pie - see link above - or use dulce de leche or as you prefer
Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
Whisk/blend together egg, coconut oil, pear, maple syrup and vanilla.
Mix together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder and salt then add them to the wet ingredients and mix until combined but try not to overmix.
Spoon into a lightly oiled mini-cupcake tin (or larger size, just allow longer to cook), filling to the top.
Bake for approx 15min until a skewer comes out clean, springy to touch and just starting to brown.
Allow to cool before frosting. To make frosting, blent together the butter and caramel until smooth then either pipe or spread on to the cupcakes.
See all the other fall flavors ideas being shared this week:
Check out A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper and this week’s recipe collection:
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Arugula Salad by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup by Eating in Instead
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Dark Chocolate-Espresso Pumpkin Tiramisu by Brunch with Joy
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way