I know, you might have read the title and be thinking I’m on a bit of a taco streak this week. Well, you’d be right. You see, I was a bit too late in getting myself organized to share the pork carnitas with tomatillo salsa verde for Mexican independence day past week. Then I had been thinking about making these chipotle tofu tacos for today’s Sunday Supper which has a vegetarian theme (for world vegetarian day). But then I figured, why not go all out and have a week dedicated to tacos (and a tasty drink alongside, of course)? Surely that can never be a bad thing, right? And these chipotle tofu tacos can never be bad either. Plus, they are can be enjoyed by almost everyone too – they’re vegan, gluten free if you use corn tacos and so delicious.
In truth, I think I have only cooked with tofu about once or twice at the most before I made these chipotle tofu tacos. I’m not entirely sure why – I think it’s a little like polenta, after having tried a couple of relatively tasteless versions it has never exactly been at the top of my list to try using again. But after I thought about how much I loved the sweet potato tacos I shared a while ago, I knew I wanted to try another vegetarian taco for today’s theme and somehow tofu spoke to me this time. And I’m glad it did as these were so good, and easy too.
How they’re made
These chipotle tofu tacos are really simple – the marinade is only chipotle, garlic and lime and both the tofu and plantain take no time to cook. You have a couple of options cooking them – you can grill them either on an actual grill/BBQ or in a grill pan or else pan fry. Grilling is great for the lovely grill marks and slight flavor it adds, but it does mean that the marinade can come off more. Pan frying keeps more of the marinade, but then doesn’t get the grill marks. Take your pick on which you prefer! I’ve made a simple slaw here with cabbage, avocado, lime and cilantro but the mango jicama slaw I shared previously would also be great here. Both are nice and easy to make and give a lovely crunch and freshness to these tacos.
These chipotle tofu tacos have a fantastic sweet-savory mix, are so quick and easy to make and perfect to be enjoyed by everyone. With these flavors, you’ll be wanting Taco Tuesday on Meatless Monday and any day you can.
Chipotle tofu tacos with plantain
- 7 oz extra firm tofu 200g
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo large, seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 plantain ripe
- 4 corn tortillas or wheat
- 1/2 cup slaw as you prefer - see above eg a couple thin slices of white cabbage, 1/4 to 1/2 avocado, leaves from 2-3 stems of cilantro and 1/2tbsp lime juice, finely chopped and mixed.
- Cut the tofu into approx 1/4in/1/2cm slices and press them between a couple slices of kitchen paper to remove excess moisture. Repeat if needed (the more you get moisture out, the more flavor it can take in).
- Finely chop the chipotle pepper and garlic together and mash slightly with the side of the knife or with a pestle and mortar. Add the lime juice them put over the tofu, ensure well covered and refrigerate to marinate for at least 30min but ideally a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, slice up the plantain into approx 8 slices from the half.
- If grilling, brush the plantain with oil and lightly oil the grill where you will cook the tofu if you can. Cook both the plantain and tofu on both sides, turning carefully after a few minutes, until showing light grill marks.
- If pan frying, warm a little oil in a pan and fry the plantain first, a few minutes each side until lightly brown, then set aside. Then fry the tofu, again for a couple minutes each side until starting to color.
- Slice the slices of tofu into strips and lay strips from one slice in each taco topped with some slaw and the plantain (each slice cut in half to fit better).
Try these other tasty tacos:
See all the other vegetarian dishes being shared today:
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind “Full”Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry