Change up breakfast with these coconut eggnog overnight oats! They’re a tasty combination of homemade coconut eggnog, oats and toasted coconut. Easy to make and easily made dairy free.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Eggnog was not something I was brought up with. As a child, my most common drink in the winter was hot cordial or juice, with the occasional hot chocolate. Once I was older, it became mulled wine then I was introduced to hot apple cider when I moved to New York. Eggnog never really featured, and I’ve still only had it a handful of times.
However always up for a challenge, when today’s Sunday Supper was announced as having an eggnog theme, I figured I had to try. And it turns out homemade eggnog is really easy. I decided on these coconut eggnog overnight oats made with homemade eggnog and both the eggnog itself and the eggnog overnight oats were delicious.
As I was looking for inspiration on how to use eggnog, I came across eggnog overnight oats which seemed just my kind of thing. After all, I love the various versions I have made such as orange overnight oats and Swiss Bircher muesli.
The coconut variation is partly out of what I had – I didn’t have any cream but I did have coconut milk. However I really liked it – not only does it mean you can make the eggnog dairy free, but it’s a lower fat and tasty version too.
Eggnog in the evening, oats in the morning
One of the fun things about this recipe is it gives you both a drink for the evening and breakfast for the morning. The recipe makes more eggnog than you need for the oats, so you may as well enjoy the rest in the evening. You will end up with more of the white part left which is better for drinking than going in with the oats anyway. Feel free to spike it too, if you like – whisky and/or rum are always good choices.
These coconut eggnog overnight oats are an easy and tasty breakfast and drink combined. With the smooth, rich, creamy taste you would expect from eggnog (although the good homemade versions rather than stuff out of a packet), but also a lovely hint of coconut, it’s a great end to one day, and start to another.
Like overnight oats? Try these!
- Orange overnight oats
- Swiss Bircher muesli
- Mango strawberry overnight oats
- Plus get more inspiration in the breakfast recipes archives.
Coconut eggnog overnight oats (with homemade eggnog)
- 1 egg , separated
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup milk 120ml (either regular dairy or almond/drinking coconut milk for dairy free version)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk 60ml (cooking thickness/from can)
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats rolled oats
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut desiccated coconut
- 1 oz rum optional, and/or whisky if you want to spike the leftover eggnog
- Whisk together the egg yolk and sugar until smooth. Add the milk, coconut milk, nutmeg and vanilla and mix well.
- Separately whisk the egg white until you get soft peaks then fold it into the milk mixture.
- Measure out the oats and add 1/2cup/120ml of the eggnog to the oats. Cover and leave to soak overnight in the fridge. Meanwhile, enjoy your remaining eggnog, with a little extra nutmeg on top (and spiked if you like).
- In the morning, lightly toast the coconut and serve on top of the soaked oats, stirring through as you eat.
- Note - if you are not comfortable with using raw eggs, warm the mixture over a very low heat, stirring, until it reaches 140F. Continue to heat for 3min then allow to cool. Watch it carefully as you don't want the eggs to cook.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
See the other eggnog recipes being shared today:
- Caramel Bottom Eggnog Cheesecake by Bottom Left of Mitten
- Eggnog Bread Pudding with Warm Whiskey Sauce by The Crumby Cupcake
- Eggnog Macarons by Baking Sense
- Eggnog Macaroons by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Eggnog Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gingerbread Bars with Eggnog Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Layered Gingerbread Cake with Eggnog Frosting by The Freshman Cook
- Coconut Milk Eggnog by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Eggnog Coffee Frappe by And She Cooks
- Gingerbread Eggnog Latte by Palatable Pastime
- Traditional Homemade Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
Breakfast and Breakfast Pastries
- Baked Eggnog Donuts by Life Tastes Good
- Cranberry Eggnog Scones by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Eggnog Pancakes with Cranberry Syrup by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Eggnog Scones by Feeding Big
- Craig Claiborne’s Eggnog Mousse by Food Lust People Love
- Eggnog Crème Anglaise by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Eggnog Panna Cotta with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Tramplingrose
- Eggnog Pudding Parfaits by Pies and Plots
Remember to pin for later!