When I saw that this week’s Sunday Supper was going to have a waffle theme, I knew I had to come up with something creative. Well, I guess I didn’t really have to be I felt like giving myself the challenge, partly to not be too like anyone else’s idea, but also just for the fun of it. In my usual way, I thought about it for a day or two and in that time I saw some leftover black beans in the fridge (from making my beet and black bean burgers which I’d forgotten quite how good they were!). From there I thought of nachos and after that, it was more just a matter of refining quite what was in there. These corn waffles nachos-style are definitely a bit of fun but they are also really tasty. They are everything you love about nachos, loaded on top of some delicious corn waffles. How could that not be good?
You might remember me mentioning a couple months back about getting a waffle maker to try to help mix up our breakfast a bit, such as with the blueberry granola waffles I made. Well, unfortunately, it was a bit of a short-lived phase for my son but I imagine he’ll come back round to liking them in time. In the meantime I’m happy to have waffles now and then myself, whether that’s for breakfast or as more of a brunch/lunch like these nacho-influenced corn waffles. If nothing else, I know I will accept the experiments more readily, and sometimes they can turn out to be really good as these were.
It took me a couple attempts to get the corn waffles right. First, I tried a more typical batter mix simply with fresh corn mixed through which was good, but still a bit too ‘waffley’. I wanted them to be more corn-like to really follow through on the nachos idea, so I then decided they should have cornmeal in too, and a little corn grits/polenta for a slightly crunchier corn taste. OK, in truth I had run out of cornmeal and so used part polenta but I think it worked well!
These corn waffles are somewhere between cornbread and waffles which you can hopefully imagine has to be a good thing. The topping is as you can see influenced by nachos and I’ve given a suggested mix in the recipe, but to be honest, you can top these corn waffles with whatever you like – be creative, choose your favorites or whatever you have to hand.
One thing I love about waffles is how quickly they cook up and the topping on these corn waffles is perfect not just flavor-wise but because it takes just a minute to melt the cheese and that’s it. These corn waffles nachos-style are a bit of fun but a lot of deliciousness. Easy, tasty, and something you need to give a try soon.
Corn waffles nachos-style
For the waffles
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour 70g plain flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal 40g
- 1/4 cup polenta 40g, corn grits
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk 240ml
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup corn 70g, about 1 ear fresh corn
For the topping
- 1 tomato
- 4 tbsp black beans (cooked)
- 2 spring onions or 4 if small
- 2 oz cheddar cheese 60g
- 1/2 avocado
- 6 slices pickled jalapeños approx
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, polenta, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together the egg, milk and oil in a separate bowl or jug then add to the dry ingredients. Whisk gently so well combined then stir in the corn.
- Preheat your waffle iron then when ready, add approx 1 cup of mixture, turn and set the timer for 4 minutes (or as directed as general measurement/timing by your waffle maker's instructions).
- Remove the waffle once done and repeat with rest of the mixture. You may well have a little left over, in which make a mini one!
- As you are using the last of the waffle mix, preheat the broiler/grill and dice up the tomato, slice the spring onions and avocado, and grate the cheese.
- Top the waffles with the tomato, black beans, spring onions, then cheese on top. Put under the broiler/grill for 1-2mins until the cheese is melted. Top with the avocado and jalapeno slices then serve.
See all the other waffles being shared at today’s Sunday Supper:
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love