You don't NEED to make this grilled breakfast flatbread for breakfast, or grill it, but don't miss the asparagus, bacon, cheese & egg combo - it's so good!
I'm sure most people think of grilling as mainly a dinner thing, or sometimes lunch if you have people over. But have you ever grilled your breakfast? And I don't just mean throwing some sausages on the grill.
This grilled breakfast flatbread with asparagus and bacon might sound a bit fancy, but it's easy, delicious and the perfect excuse to have pizza for breakfast!
I've had grilling pizza or flatbread on my bucket list of things to make for ages now. But somehow making pizza myself at all happens rarely so a grilled version hasn't happened. However I was having a think about a speeded up bread base recently and came across this navajo flatbread recipe. It seemed like the perfect base to prompt me into trying. Especially as I was thinking about a breakfast flatbread or pizza, it made perfect sense that you shouldn't need to wait for the dough to rise.
In truth, I prefer the flavor of actual pizza dough (like the one I used for my butternut squash pizza with bacon jam), but it makes a good no-rise alternative for when you're not quite as organized. Plus it's relatively firm so easier to transfer to the grill etc.
We've had the odd specials at our local pizza place that have been topped with egg. My husband always jokes that he feels like he is back in Geneva, as that's pretty much standard there. I don't know that I could have it all the time, but now and then it's definitely good, and it goes so well with asparagus. And bacon, of course, because that's always good, especially when you are talking breakfast.
Of course you don't have to have this for breakfast, but with the ingredients it's a great fit. It at least feels a bit like breakfast for dinner, but in a very good, tasty way. The fresh asparagus, slightly salty bacon and oozing egg are such a great combination. You can skip the egg if you like, but I do really recommend it.
I've always enjoyed asparagus and was fascinated when I learnt more about it a few years ago. But since we're partnering with Michigan Asparagus to bring you a giveaway this week, I've learnt even more. For example, did you know that asparagus can grow as much as half an inch an hour? And even though the season might seem relatively short at 7 weeks, they can harvest each field as many as 45 times as new spears come up. Make sure you enter the giveaway below which they are kindly sponsoring.
You don't need to make this breakfast flatbread for breakfast. You don't even need to make it on the grill, and you can also swap out for ready-made dough. But the asparagus, bacon, cheese and egg combination is one you shouldn't miss.
Try these other recipes with asparagus:
- Tomato asparagus quiche
- Baked swordfish and asparagus with lentils and chermoula
- Asparagus frittata
- Plus get more spring recipes in the archives.
Grilled breakfast flatbread with asparagus and bacon
- 1 cup bread flour 145g
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water warm, or more as needed
- 3 oz smoked bacon 78g, approx (4 slices)
- 2 oz asparagus 55g, 2 large spears
- 1 oz gruyere cheese 30g, or other hard cheese eg cheddar, finely grated
- 2 eggs optional
- If using other dough for the base, move to topping part below. For base, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Create a slight well and add the oil and warm water. Mix together into a ball, adding a little more water if needed to bring it all together. Knead around 5min until the dough is smooth. Note, it won't stretch like a yeast dough, it will break, but flatten it and bring it together a few times and you'll feel it soften. Roll into a ball and set aside while you prepare the topping.
- For topping, cook the bacon as you prefer (grill/in pan), drain and then cut into slices. Snap the asparagus ends off then using a wide vegetable peeler to shave into medium lengths. Toss them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill.
- Divide the dough in two, and flatten each out into a slight oval approx 7x6in (18x15cm). It doesn't need to be too even, but avoid having any holes. Put the bases on parchment/foil to make it easier to transfer to the grill.
- Put approx ⅓ of the cheese on each base and spread out evenly. Spread the asparagus and bacon on top.
- Carefully put the flatbreads on the grill. Make sure your topping are more to the side than the middle then crack an egg on top of each. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Cook for probably only about 5min until the bread has cooked and egg white is white. It will depend on your grill, but I found I started with a couple minutes in the main grill area then moved away from the heat for the remainder. Watch it closely as it can easily burn on the base (mine did go a little darker than I'd have liked). Serve and enjoy.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Welcome to #BBQWeek
Let’s fire up the grill! Follow #BBQWeek so you don’t miss one delicious recipe. There are more than 20 recipes this week starting with these tasty dishes:
- Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef) + Asparagus with Gochujang Sauce from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Asparagus and Parmesan Pasta with Toasted Pecans from Tip Garden
- Grilled Asparagus Nachos from Red Cottage Chronicles
- Grilled Asparagus Pasta Salad from Dad What’s 4 Dinner
- Grilled Asparagus Halloumi Salad from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Grilled Asparagus Tart from A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Grilled Asparagus with Balsamic Glaze and Toasted Pecans from Family Around The Table
- Grilled Citrus Chicken and Asparagus Packets from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Grilled Hoisin Chicken and Asparagus Summer Rolls from Palatable Pastime
Giveaway is now closed but was open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. Prize sent after the close of the giveaway. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment.
Thank you to Michigan Asparagus for providing product to enable the development of this recipe as well as providing the giveaway prize. I received no other compensation and all opinions remain my own.
Remember to pin for later!