This is not your average grilled dish or salad, as everything is grilled, salad included! An easy, tasty summer meal.
I don’t know about where you are, but it’s finally grilling season here. I know some people are happy to stand by the grill in the snow, but I’m not one of them, I’m afraid – not only is it uncomfortable but it somehow just doesn’t feel right to be eating nice lightly charred food when it’s freezing outside. Now that the sun has a bit of warmth to it, though (well, at least most of the time), things are different.
This salad fits perfectly into the need to get back in to grilling while being a little different from just throwing on a piece of meat. It’s a delicious mix of sweet and savory and best of all, it’s really easy to make as you grill nearly everything that goes in it. When I say this is called a grilled pork and pineapple salad, I don’t mean it’s grilled pork WITH pineapple and other salad ingredients, I mean it’s grilled pork AND grilled pineapple AND grilled salad. Lots of great grilling flavor all combined together into one delicious dish.
When we first moved to our current house in Cambridge, MA we were coming from London with most of our things shipped to arrive a few months later. Of course we were incredibly lucky to have found somewhere to move right in to as we moved country, and even luckier that my mother in law drove up from Pennsylvania with a few pieces of furniture that happened to have become available for us to use, but it was all a bit bare until other things arrived. We also had a few things we needed to buy since we either left them in our apartment in London for those renting it or had never needed one before, and a grill was one of the latter.
We took advantage of my mother in law being in town with a van to get a few bigger things like that (and a crib etc for my son that was due about a month later!) and needless to say, being summer, we quickly got in to grilling quite a lot in the evening. It was something we had missed in London and some outdoor space at least big enough to hold a grill and a table to sit out had been high on our list when looking for a place to live.
Nowadays, we still enjoy grilling and sitting outside for our meals regularly in the warmer months but like to vary what we have too. Things like a simple steak on the grill (or dressed up with chimichurri and grilled vegetables) and chicken satay are definitely favorites, but I like to try new things as well and this grilled pork and pineapple salad is one I decided to give a try recently.
I think for me one of the great things with grilling is not only the great flavor you can get but that you can make a meal relatively quickly, and this dish definitely shows off both of those sides of grilling to the max.
The pork is given a simple spice rub which is inspired by Jamaican jerk seasoning (as in my jerk chicken), then it is cooked on the grill along with all the other salad ingredients which are grilled until lightly browned. Everything is cooked in larger pieces to make them easier to grill, then once done you chop them up and serve. There’s a light citrus dressing that just helps bring it together that you can spice up a little if you like or leave it more simple to just enjoy the grilling flavors.
This grilled pork and pineapple salad is great warm or at room temperature as the flavors and textures work either way. There’s a tasty balance between the seasoned meat, sweet pineapple and slightly crunchy vegetables, all with that grill flavor throughout. It’s so easy to put together but has so much flavor and is hearty enough to be a proper meal, it’s a great alternative to steak, burgers or sausages when you feel like grilling but haven’t planned ahead. Plus it’s pretty healthy, so all the more reason to get the grill on and cook up this tasty salad.
Grilled pork and pineapple salad
- 0.75 lb pork tenderloin 340g
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 heads omaine lettuce
- 1 red pepper
- 8 stems asparagus
- 2 slices fresh pineapple around 1/3-1/2in/1cm thick
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp light oil vegetable or non-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 minced chili pepper optional
- Trim any excess fat and sinewy pieces from the outside of the pork loin.
- Mix together the thyme, allspice, cinnamon, lime juice and honey and rub all over the outside of the pork.
- Remove the outer leaves form the romaine (keep to use another time) and cut in half top to bottom through the stem. Remove the core and seeds from the pepper and cut into quarters. Snap the ends of the asparagus stalks. Lightly drizzle all with a little oil (only a small amount) and rub all over. Trim the skin from the pineapple.
- Grill the pork, romaine, pepper, asparagus and pineapple, turning each as required. The pork will talk around 20min to be cooked through, the rest will take a little less - you just want them all lightly browned. Watch the romaine as it will quickly go from uncooked to charred black if you are not careful.
- While everything is cooking, whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, oil and mustard for the dressing, plus the chili if using.
- Once everything is cooked on the grill, remove from the heat and chop each into bite-sized pieces (the pineapple into around 8 pieces a slice, asparagus in half or thirds per stem, pepper in 4 to 6 pieces per quarter, pork and romaine sliced). Cut the pork last so it has time to rest a little.
- Layer up the salad with the romaine at the bottom, the vegetables and pineapple next then pork on top. Drizzle over the dressing. Can be eater warm straight after cooking or allowed to cool to room temperature. If eating cooler, it's probably best to wait until nearer when serving to pour over the dressing.
Try these other sides/mains that make use of the grill:
See all the other great grilling recipes being shared at today’s Sunday Supper:
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Artichokes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Remember to pin for later!