This carrot and banana bread is easy to make, really tasty, has lots of good things in it and no added sugar and so it’s not too much of a stretch to call it healthy. It’s almost too good to be true! Even better, for me, is my toddler really likes it and so it makes a pretty good snack for everyone.
How it’s made
All you need to do is mix together the dry ingredients, blend the dates and banana, add the remaining ingredients to the date-banana mixture then add all of that to the dry ingredients. Mix, pour, flatten down and bake. That’s it. See, really easy, and then comes the best, and most difficult bit – the fantastic smell as it bakes in the oven and you have to wait for it to be ready! But it a wait that is well rewarded, as once it’s cooled slightly you cut yourself a slice and take a bite. Delicious.
Using natural sweeteners
You may remember, I have used dates and banana to add natural sweetness to muffins and cookies before and they are a great way to add both flavor and sweetness along with lots of vitamins without the need for refined sugar. I keep meaning to work on more cookies along the same vein, but after one or two failed attempts I have kind of parked the idea for now. Well, I say that, but I guess I just got distracted with other ideas like this one, and to be honest I am glad I did as this was definitely a success.
The outside has a delicious crunch when it is fresh, and the inside is lovely and moist but not gooey or too dense. It is pretty much as you might expect, with all the best bits of a carrot cake and a banana bread rolled int one, a slight spice and lots of delicious flavor. It will keep for a few days, given the chance, and stay nicely moist – it only loses the crunch on the outside. If you still somehow have some left over it will also freeze; very handy to find when hunger strikes. All in all, this carrot and banana bread is definitely worth are not a particularly experienced baker it is, as I said, really easy, and there’s a great reward at the end: a fantastically tasty loaf.
Healthy carrot and banana bread
- 1 cup all purpose flour 140g plain flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 150g
- 1 tsp baking soda bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 7 oz bananas 200g, approx 2 bananas
- 3.5 oz dates 100g - pitted weight, recommend Medjool
- 1 cup carrots 100g, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (both flours, the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger).
- In another bowl, blend together the bananas and dates.
- Add the grated carrot, eggs and vanilla to the mixture and mix well.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix so the mixture is well combined but don't over-mix.
- Prepare a loaf tin by either lining on greasing it, then pour the mixture in and flatten the top, pushing the mixture into the corners.
- Bake for 35-40min until a skewer comes out clean.
Try these other healthier sweet treats:
Remember to pin for later!