This kid-friendly salmon curry has lots of flavor without the heat – perfect for little ones and grown ups alike. Plus it takes no time to cook and so is the perfect dinner for busy nights.
Most of the time, I try to have the kids eating the same as us, but now and then I will make something different for the boys. It’s often when we are feeling like something spicy, and when we’re in the mood for Goan fish curry, for example, that’s definitely one a bit too hot for them just now. However rather than completely separate meals, I often make something else along similar lines and that doesn’t take too long.
The kids love my fragrant chicken curry, but this salmon curry is another great, even quicker option. It’s perfect for when we are already having curry, since we’ll all be having rice, plus it’s tasty enough we’re happy to have it ourselves too. Which makes it a great option for nights when we are running short on time as it comes together so quickly. There’s no chili in there (although you could certainly add some if you like), so it’s perfect for younger palates, but it still has enough flavor that it’s not boring.
How it’s made
You can make things even easier on yourself at mealtime by dicing the salmon and making the spice paste ahead of time. Not that either of them take all that long anyway. Then you simply cook the spice paste a little, add the coconut milk and warm it through. Add the salmon to gently cook in the sauce and thin it down a little, as needed. Serve over rice for an easy, tasty meal.
This salmon curry is easy to make, with gently spiced flavors and perfect for busy nights. It’s also really adaptable – why not add some vegetables or spice it up. With back to school season coming thick and fast, I know I for one appreciate lots of easy, tasty ideas to add to the menu. And this is definitely one you want to be adding to your rotation.
Kid-friendly salmon curry
An incredibly easy, non-spicy fish curry that's great for busy nights (and you can spice it up too!)
- 1 lb salmon 450g, boneless
For the spice paste
- 1 tomato
- 1 clove garlic or 2 if small
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tsp ginger fresh, grated/minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
To make curry
- 1/2 tbsp oil vegetable, canola
- 1/2 cup coconut milk 120ml
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water or more, as needed
Remove skin from the salmon and cut into bite-sized dice.
To make the spice paste, roughly dice the tomato, peeled garlic and onion. Put them in a small food processor or blender along with the ginger, cumin, coriander and turmeric. Blend until smooth. This can be made ahead of time and refrigerated (as can the diced salmon).
When ready to cook, warm the oil in a medium skillet/frying pan over a medium heat and add the spice paste. Cook for a couple minutes until it darkens a little and bubbles.
Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer then reduce the heat. Add the salmon and allow it to cook in the sauce. Don't stir too much to avoid breaking up the fish.
Add the lemon juice and a little water as needed to thin the sauce slightly - you want it to be a bit runny but not too thin. Serve over rice.
Try these other back to school dinner ideas being shared today:
Beef and Pork
- Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats by The Crumby Kitchen
- Beef and Sweet Potato Stew by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Meatloaf Meatballs by Palatable Pastime
- Mexican Lasagna with Tortillas by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Dish Taco Goulash by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pierogi with Sausage and Peppers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pot Roast with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Red Wine by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Pastas, Soups, Rice and Stews
- Casimer Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Dad’s Glop by My Blissful Mess
- Homemade Lasagna by Soulfully Made
- Japanese Yakisoba Noodles by NinjaBaker.com
- Kid-friendly Salmon Curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Salmon with Pappardelle and a Brandy Cream Sauce by Mysavoryspoon
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup by Books n’ Cooks
- Chicken Enchiladas by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Parmesan by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken with Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce & Roasted Asparagus by Gourmet Everyday
- Chicken with Sautéed Zucchini Peppers and Mushrooms by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornflake Chicken Tenders by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Easy Instapot Roast Chicken by Our Good Life
- Easy Ranch Chicken Pasta with Bacon by Cricket’s Confections
- Perfect Scrambled Eggs by Pies and Plots
- Roasted Chicken Breasts by Life Tastes Good
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Chicken & Spinach by My Life Cookbook
- Whole30 Mini Turkey Meatloaf by Bites of Wellness
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Plus more Indian/Indian-inspired dishes:
Remember to pin for later!