This kid-friendly salmon curry has lots of flavor without the heat - perfect for little ones and grown ups alike. Plus it takes no time to cook and so is the perfect dinner for busy nights.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Most of the time, I try to have the kids eating the same as us, but now and then I will make something different for the boys. It's often when we are feeling like something spicy, and when we're in the mood for Goan fish curry, for example, that's definitely one a bit too hot for them just now.
However rather than completely separate meals, I often make something else along similar lines and that doesn't take too long.
The kids love my fragrant chicken curry, but this salmon curry is another great, even quicker option. It's perfect for when we are already having curry, since we'll all be having rice, plus it's tasty enough we're happy to have it ourselves too.
Which makes it a great option for nights when we are running short on time as it comes together so quickly. There's no chili in there (although you could certainly add some if you like), so it's perfect for younger palates, but it still has enough flavor that it's not boring.
How it's made
You can make things even easier on yourself at mealtime by dicing the salmon and making the spice paste ahead of time. Not that either of them take all that long anyway. Then you simply cook the spice paste a little, add the coconut milk and warm it through.
Add the salmon to gently cook in the sauce and thin it down a little, as needed. Serve over rice for an easy, tasty meal.
This salmon curry is easy to make, with gently spiced flavors and perfect for busy nights. It's also really adaptable - why not add some vegetables or spice it up. With back to school season coming thick and fast, I know I for one appreciate lots of easy, tasty ideas to add to the menu. And this is definitely one you want to be adding to your rotation.
Try these other easy Indian/Indian-inspired dishes:
Kid-friendly salmon curry
- 1 lb salmon 450g, boneless
For the spice paste
- 1 tomato
- 1 clove garlic or 2 if small
- ½ onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger fresh, grated/minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
To make curry
- ½ tablespoon oil vegetable, canola
- ½ cup coconut milk 120ml
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water or more, as needed
- Remove skin from the salmon and cut into bite-sized dice.
- To make the spice paste, roughly dice the tomato, peeled garlic and onion. Put them in a small food processor or blender along with the ginger, cumin, coriander and turmeric. Blend until smooth. This can be made ahead of time and refrigerated (as can the diced salmon).
- When ready to cook, warm the oil in a medium skillet/frying pan over a medium heat and add the spice paste. Cook for a couple minutes until it darkens a little and bubbles.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer then reduce the heat. Add the salmon and allow it to cook in the sauce. Don't stir too much to avoid breaking up the fish.
- Add the lemon juice and a little water as needed to thin the sauce slightly - you want it to be a bit runny but not too thin. Serve over rice.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.