I don’t often get that excited about baked goods, what with my not-too-sweet tooth. And I certainly don’t tend to have to stop myself from eating a whole tray at once, but this is one case that’s a bit different. These mini lemon almond cupcakes were absolutely delicious.
I had originally intended to make them and take them to share with some friends, but in the end I ate a few too many before I even left the house and then didn’t really want to share the rest. So I didn’t. But I hope to be a bit nicer next time I make them so others can enjoy them as well. In the meantime, I will at least let you have the recipe so you can try them yourself.
I’m sharing them today as part of Sunday Supper’s mother’s day theme, as my mum and I share a love of citrus-flavored things and I know she would really like these. Unfortunately she is far away in Edinburgh so I can’t exactly drop by with a few to share with her, but maybe next time I see her I’ll bake some for us to enjoy together.
How to make these lemon almond cupcakes
These cupcakes are made partly with almond flour, which gives them a lovely flavor, mixed with rice flour so they are gluten-free (when using gluten-free flours you are always best to mix more than one).
There’s lemon both in the main batter then there’s an extra boost from a drop of lemon curd hidden in the middle. It’s not obviously a drop once baked as it melts into the dough, but you can still sense a slight gooeyness towards the top and the flavor and moistness it gives the cupcake is delicious.
I’ve still to try, but I suspect it would be more obvious in full-sized cupcakes, but there’s something nice about enjoying these cute little bites. I used homemade lemon curd, which is really easy to make and I would definitely recommend, but if you don’t get round to it or have the ingredients, you could use store-bought (but it’s really not the same!).
These lemon almond cupcakes are nice and easy to make and so light and tasty, they would make a perfect gift for mother’s day, or to share with others whenever you manage to make them. Or, like me, you can save them and devour them yourselves, but either way, they are definitely worth making and enjoying.
Mini lemon almond cupcakes (GF)
- 1 egg divided
- 1/2 lemon juice ie from 1/2 lemon
- 1 lemon zest ie from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted and allowed to cool
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup almond flour 60g ground almonds
- 1/4 cup rice flour 35g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp lemon curd about 1/3 of separate recipe, see below
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Mix egg yolk, lemon zest and juice, coconut oil and honey in a bowl and combine.
- Add the flours and baking powder and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until it forms soft peaks.
- Take a little of the egg white and mix into the other mixture. Then carefully fold the remaining egg white in to the mixture until mixed but taking care not to lose all the air.
- Fill the tins half-full, create a slight dip in the middle then put a little of the lemon curd - around 1/4-1/2tsp - in the middle of each. Carefully spoon the remaining mixture on top so the curd is covered but not mixed in.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes until gently golden.
Try these other tasty sweet treats:
See what else others are treating their mothers with today:
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma’s Mimosa by Our Good Life
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma’s Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
Treats and Sweets
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Remember to pin for later!