If you ever thought eggplant was boring, then you need to try this Moroccan eggplant with chermoula. The punchy sauce transforms cooked eggplant to make a flavor-packed side or mezze dish.
For some reason, we had a big gap since I last made chermoula sauce. I’m not entirely sure why – there are other dishes I have made to go alongside fish like salsa verde which has some similarities. But recently it struck me it had been way too long.
I made myself a good-sized quantity of my chermoula recipe and had some with fish, beans and lentils, similar to my baked swordfish and asparagus with lentils and chermoula. Then I used some for this tasty vegetarian dish.
What is chermoula?
If you haven’t tried it before, chermoula is a Moroccan sauce made with fresh herbs, cumin, lemon and garlic. It’s common to use it both as a marinade and as a sauce.
As you might guess from the above, it’s really good with fish but it’s also great with many vegetables.
One of the more common traditional uses for chermoula is this eggplant salad. The eggplant is cooked then combined with the sauce. The chermoula kind of acts as a marinade after cooking, infusing it with flavor.
It’s pretty common to have a range of appetizers and salads to start a meal in Morocco, similar to mezze, and this is a dish you might often find as part of that.
I had it alongside another simple salad and some bread for lunch, but it would also work as a side to many other dishes.
How to make Moroccan eggplant with chermoula
This is an easy dish to make, though there are a couple of potential variations, such as what you put in the chermoula, and how you cook the eggplant.
Traditionally the eggplant is fried but roasting uses less oil, and is all-round easier in my view. Some cook the eggplant whole, but to make it easier to eat after, I’ve opted for cutting it in to cubes.
For my take on the dish, all you do is:
- Cut slices of eggplant then cut them into dices.
- Put in a roasting dish and toss with olive oil.
- Roast until gently brown.
- While the eggplant is cooking, make the chermoula sauce.
- Let the cooked eggplant cool slightly then toss with the sauce.
- Leave to cool completely then either serve or chill overnight first.
This Moroccan eggplant with chermoula is easy to make, packed with fresh flavor, and a delicious way to eat healthily. Pack some for lunch, add it to a buffet or alongside a main However you have it, enjoy!
This Moroccan eggplant with chermoula is easy to make, great for making ahead, and delicious for lunch or as a side.
- 12 oz eggplant 340g aubergine (approx)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chermoula sauce (or a little more - approx 1/2 of recipe)
Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Trim the ends off the eggplant and cut into a relatively small dice (bite-sized chunks).
Put the eggplant on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and toss with the oil. Roast for around 20 minutes until lightly browned.
Allow the eggplant to cool slightly and toss with the chermoula sauce. Serve cold or at room temperature - the flavors will deepen if left to marinate overnight.
Get more ideas – see these Vegan Recipes for #Veganuary
- Vegan Burrito Bowls with Jackfruit Carnitas by The Baking Fairy
- Baba Ganoush by Lemon Blossoms
- Creamy Vegan Curry Bean Soup by Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Delicata Squash Fries with Chipotle Garlic Dipping Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Instant Pot Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by The Live-In Kitchen
- Instant Pot Chipotle Sofritas by Herbivore Cucina
- Moroccan Eggplant with Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Veggies with Satay Peanut Sauce by Hardly A Goddess
- Scrambled Tofu with Sweet Potato & Kale Hash by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vegan Artichoke Hummus by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Vegan Baked Oats and Vegetable Bites by Cook With Renu
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwiches by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Vegan Cannellini Rocket Tortilla Pizza by The Fiery Vegetarian
- Vegan Cookie Dough Energy Balls by Veggie Lexi
- Vegan Cranberry Apple Chickpea Salad by Join Us, Pull Up A Chair
- Vegan Fire-Roasted Tomato and Bean Soup by Blogghetti
- Vegan Khoresh Bademjan by Palatable Pastime
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Tofu by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Superfood Breakfast Cookies by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Vegan Thai Roasted Carrots with Peanuts by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vegan Vanilla Chai Oatmeal by Fairyburger
- Vegetable Chettinad (Vegan Spicy Vegetable Curry) by Flavours Treat
Remember to pin for later!