This oatmeal chocolate chip skillet cookie is on the healthier side but feels decadent with chocolate oozing from it. Easy to make and perfect for sharing! Thanks to the Christmas Cookie Week sponsors for providing the giveaway items.
I first had a skillet cookie at a pizza restaurant near us. I know that might seem a little odd, but this isn’t exactly a ‘normal’ pizza place. It makes pretty amazing pizzas, too, that we’re all big fans of, and their roast chicken is really good. I even forgave them for no longer having a former favorite caramelized onion and gorgonzola pizza.
I’ve seen other recipes for a skillet cookie a number of times and they always look good, but I was never quite tempted to make one, for some reason. I guess maybe I thought they wouldn’t quite live up to the wood oven-fired cookie we’d had out. Plus, we rarely have dessert.
Then when my younger son had his last birthday, I decided it might be a good excuse to make a skillet cookie. I’ll be honest, it was partly I wasn’t quite up for making a cake when it was just the four of us. But both boys also love chocolate and cookies, so I didn’t think they’d mind the swap. Especially with ice cream on the side.
True enough, everyone loved it.
How to make this skillet cookie
One of the reasons I made this, as I said, was it’s a heck of a lot quicker than a cake, and it really is easy. All you do is:
- Cream the butter, sugar and maple syrup.
- Blend in the egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour, oats, baking soda and chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a skillet, flatten out and bake.
This isn’t as healthy as some of my other cookies (like my healthy apple oatmeal cookies or healthy cranberry apricot cookies) but it is still healthier than many others. There’s not too much sugar and a healthy doze of oats. But it’s still most definitely sweet enough, especially with the chocolate chips.
With a wonderful crisp outside from being cooked in the skillet, gooey chocolate chips and a great flavor, this oatmeal chocolate chip skillet cookie is definitely one to try soon.
This skillet cookie is easy to make, and perfect for sharing as dessert (particularly topped with ice cream!)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter 57g
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour 105g plain flour
- 1/4 cup quick oats 22g (1 minute oats)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 84g
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Cut the butter into small chunks. Put in a medium bowl, add the maple syrup and sugar and cream them all together.
Add the egg and vanilla and blend in.
Add the flour, oats and baking soda and mix well then fold in the chocolate chips.
Lightly butter an 8in/20cm skillet (frying pan), add the batter and spread it out into a flat layer. Bake for approx 15-18 minutes until it looks evenly cooked on top (it should be dry to touch but not look too browned). Best served warm - great topped with ice cream.
I’m sharing this as part of Christmas Cookie Week – see all the delicious cookie recipes being shared today and make sure you enter the giveaway!
Prize Package #1:
From Adams Extracts comes a selection of baking delights including their prize-winning pound cake mix, pure vanilla extract, pure peppermint extract, double strength pure vanilla extract, pound cake flavor extract and vanilla cinnamon sugar.
Adams traces its beginnings back to Battle Creek, Michigan, when John A. Adams began making and selling his Green Plant Sarsaparilla extract, Adamur, in 1888. In 1905, he moved his family to Beeville, TX. At the time, most vanilla was sold to pharmacies and was often labeled “Do not bake or freeze.” John A. Adams, whose imagination was stirred by his wife’s yearning for a flavoring that wouldn’t bake or freeze out, announced that he could produce a better vanilla than the one his wife was currently using. Working with just $6.71 worth of materials on top of an old icebox, John A. Adams discovered the formula he wanted.
Prize Package #2:
YumGoggle is giving away a variety of holiday and Christmas cookie cutters. The winner of this prize package will receive a sleigh, large ornament and two cookie cutter sets. The first is a mug/ sweater set called Ugly Sweater Specialty Cookie Cutter Set and the second is a Santa/ reindeer set called North Pole Specialty Cookie Cutter Set. Each set includes 2 cookie cutters, 2 templates, 2 instruction cars and 4 bonus templates.
The YumGoggle gallery features food photography from contributors around the world. If you’re looking for a recipe, chances are you’ll find it on YumGoggle. The photos not only whet your appetite but you can easily find the recipes by clicking the photo.
Prize Package #3:
The winner of this Sprinkle Pop prize package will get their choice of 3 sprinkle varieties, at $35.00 value. Winner will be contacted by or need to contact Sprinkle Pop for fulfillment.
Sprinkle Pop offers trendy sprinkle mixes that you won’t find anywhere else. Fun fact: Over 50% of their sprinkle mixes are dyed in house, making each experience one of a kind. Sprinkle Pop also creates one of a kind confetti shapes that are unique to their mixes. Make every occasion a festive one with these fun sprinkle creations.
Prize Package #4:
One winner will receive an 11 5/8 inch x 16 1/2 inch Silpat® baking mat which is perfect for all of your cookie baking throughout the year. Reduces the need for parchment and is reusable.
The original silicone baking mat made from a dedicated silicone with reinforced fiberglass mesh. Nothing sticks to Silpat® which means you’ll spend less time cleaning and more time enjoying your baking creations. Silpat® replaces the need for butter, grease, oils, and sprays.
- Multi-purpose non-stick silicone baking and pastry mat.
- No cooking sprays, oils or parchment paper needed.
- Not to be used as a cutting surface.
- Can be used in the oven, microwave and freezer.
#ChristmasCookiesWeek Monday Recipes
- Ach Tannebaum’ Iced Sugar Cookies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Brown Sugar Ornament Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Butter Pecan Nuggets by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chocolate Candy Cane Kiss Cookies by Soulfully Made
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies by Everyday Eileen
- Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Cookies by Tip Garden
- Chocolate Espresso Brown Sugar Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Chocolate Snowball Cookies by Hardly A Goddess
- Chocolate-Cherry Snowballs by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Christmas Macarons by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Christmas Rosette Sugar Cookies by Love and Confections
- Christmas Sprinkle Pudding Cookies by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Classic Spritz by Books n’ Cooks
- Dark Chocolate Coffee Crinkle Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Frostbite Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- Gingerbread Macaron by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Hot Chocolate Cookies by Family Around The Table
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by Caroline’s Cooking (you’re here!)
- Oatmeal Rolled Sugar Cookies by House of Nash Eats
- Peanut Butter Cutout Cookies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Peppermint Cookie Dough Truffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peppermint Meltaways by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Peppermint Pizzelles by Girl Abroad
- Peppermint Thins by Palatable Pastime
- Pistachio Cranberry Macaron by Yumgoggle
- Sour Cream Decorated Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Chocolate Molasses Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Vegan Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars by The Baking Fairy
- Chocolate Dipped Gingerbread Shortbread by Kate’s Recipe Box
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Blondies by The Redhead Baker
- Whoville Cookies by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Remember to pin for later!
Disclaimer: Thank you #ChristmasCookiesWeek sponsors: Adams Extract, Sprinkle Pop, YumGoggle and Silpat for providing the prizes free of charge. The #ChristmasCookiesWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected at random from entries received. The prize packages will be fulfilled by and sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. #ChristmasCookiesWeek bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household are not eligible to enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookiesWeek posts or entry.