This one pot lemon garlic chicken with vegetables is easy to make, all roasted in the oven, with delicious simple flavors.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I don’t know about anyone else, but for me the definition of an easy meal is not necessarily how long it takes to cook. Often it’s more about the amount of preparation time and how many dishes it uses. Having something take a bit of time to cook in the oven still gives me free hands to do something else. For me, that’s just as good if not better than a meal that cooks up in 10 minutes or so, especially if it’s tasty.
This one pot lemon garlic chicken with vegetables is definitely one of those. It needs to bake in the oven for a little bit, but doesn’t take long to prepare, uses one dish (and a bowl) and is thoroughly delicious. It’s also a great mix of meat and vegetables, it’s colorful and easy too. You can hardly go wrong.
If I tell you how this recipe came about you’ll probably think me a little strange. But hey, if the end result is a tasty recipe then it’s something I can live with. I love having homemade chicken stock in the freezer which I generally do. However in colder weather we can get through our stock (sorry, accidental bad pun) pretty quickly between soups and risottos in particular. While we love a whole roast chicken, we don’t want to do so every week.
While I have one or two other thigh-on-the-bone recipes, I felt we could do with another to mix things up. I also, separately, was thinking about a lovely beef tapas we had in Lisbon almost two years ago now that I keep meaning to try to make. True, I doubt if I can even remember it well enough now but I had noted a number of the flavors. And that’s what led me to the flavors in this dish, as I thought they’d also go well with chicken.
How to make one pot lemon garlic chicken
This one pot lemon garlic chicken with vegetables is easy enough to make, as I said. First you chop the carrots and potatoes and toss them in oil and a little salt and paprika in a dish. We had some lovely rainbow potatoes in our veg box. They were perfect both being a nice size and adding some additional color, but other potatoes will work here too.
The vegetables are roasted a little on their own to get them started. Meanwhile, you toss the chicken with some more oil, paprika, salt, garlic and lemon juice. This is then added into the dish on top of the carrots and potatoes along with some beans and left to roast until the chicken is cooked. A little parsley over the top and it’s ready to serve.
The lemon, oil, garlic and paprika all mingle with the chicken juices to form a delicious sauce at the bottom of the dish. You really need to make sure you don’t forget it as you serve everything up. The flavors are subtle but tasty, it’s comforting but not heavy.
Overall this one pot lemon garlic chicken is a fantastic meal that’s easy to make, and full of everything you could need in a meal. It has tasty meat, a mix of vegetables and a bit of sauce. Plus, with the lack of dishes, it’s definitely one to add to your regular rotation. Oh, and I got some more bones to make stock – bonus!
Looking for more tasty chicken recipes? Try these:
Plus get more mains recipes in the archives
I made this in my Le Creuset cast iron brazier which worked well.
See more of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
One pot lemon garlic chicken with vegetables
- 7 oz carrots 200g, around 4 large
- 15 oz potatoes 425g, new potatoes are probably best but as you have/prefer
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lb chicken thighs bone-in/on the bone
- 2 tbsp lemon juice approx 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika or more
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic or 3 if smaller
- 3 oz green beans 85g
- 2 tbsp parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Peel or scrub the carrots and cut into lengths around 2-3in/5-7cm long. Cut the potatoes into similar-sized pieces (I left skin on but peel if you prefer).
- Toss the carrots and potatoes with the 2tbsp oil, 1/2tsp paprika and 1/2tsp salt in a large baking dish/casserole and roast in the oven for around 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the chicken thighs with the lemon juice and zest, 1tbsp olive oil, 1/2tsp paprika - more if you'd like a little more of the taste -, 1/2tsp salt and sliced-up garlic cloves in a bowl.
- Trim the ends off the beans and cut any long ones into slightly shorter lengths.
- After the carrots and potatoes have had around 15-20min, add the beans on top followed by the chicken.
- Roast for another approx 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (it may need a little more) and the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve - don't forget to spoon over the liquid at the bottom of the pan, it's delicious!
- Note: The beans will still be a little crunchy but personally I like that. If you'd prefer them much softer, then pre-steam or boil them (or cook separately)
Remember to pin for later!