This peanut butter banana ice cream with chocolate chips might sound indulgent, but it’s secretly healthy. And super easy to make – you don’t even need to wait for it to chill!
It has been really hot here recently and I have found myself buying bananas every couple of days. They seem to ripen in minutes rather than days in this weather, and since the boys eat one daily, pretty much, we need a steady supply.
Now and then we have too many before they become too ripe so I slice them up and freeze them. Sometimes I use them for smoothies, like my mango and dragon fruit smoothie bowl, but they’re also perfect for treats like this peanut butter banana ice cream.
I’ve had banana ice cream on my list of things to try forever. Well, for a really long time at least. I remember all of last summer I kept saying I must get round to making some but it never quite happened. And of course like so many things now I’ve made it, I can’t understand why it took so long.
I guess technically it’s not ice cream as there is no ‘cream’ in there, but it’s still definitely creamy Banana ice cream is one of those things that became trendy as a healthy, vegan alternative to ice cream. You can just make it with plain frozen bananas, but I think it’s better with a couple of additions. Peanut butter and chocolate are natural matches and go really well, but feel free to experiment with other additions. I know I will be.
How it’s made
Not only is it the perfect solution to those bananas that ripen before you can eat them, it’s super quick. All you do is cut the ripe bananas into slices when you have them, freeze them on baking sheets/trays until firm then transfer to a freezer bag. You can just break them into chunks and put straight in a bag, but they are more likely to stick together.
Then when you want to make this, put the frozen banana in the blender, and whizz it up with the vanilla and peanut butter. Add the chocolate chips and pulse to break slightly and mix then serve. It will be a nice soft serve consistency. If you want it firmer or don’t want it all straight away, just transfer to a container and freeze.
This peanut butter banana ice cream is kid tested and approved in our house (and I was a big fan too). It’s so easy and the perfect quick dessert or snack to mix up as and when on a warm day. It would be the perfect after school snack that the kids will love but that’s really kind of good for them. Because those days are coming all too quick! Whatever your excuse, don’t throw out those ripe bananas – freeze them so you’re ready to make this tasty treat whenever the mood grabs you. Like the next warm day.
Try these other frozen treats:
- Grilled pineapple ice cream
- No churn roasted strawberry ice cream
- Mango paletas(ice pops)
- Plus get more dessert recipes in the archives.
Peanut butter banana ice cream with chocolate chips
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- As your bananas are ripe, peel and cut them into slices and lay the slices on a baking sheet/tray. Freeze until firm, an hour or more. Transfer to a freezer bag until you need them - they'll keep a good month or more.
When ready to make the ice cream
- Put the frozen bananas, peanut butter and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times so they break up slightly and mix in. Serve either straight away or transfer to a container and freeze until needed.
See the other Back to School ideas being shared today:
- Creamy Cantaloupe Pops by Family Around the Table
- S’More Thumbprint Cookies by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Bean and Bacon Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Raw Warrior Pudding By Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Remember to pin for later!