This pear gorgonzola salad is easy to make and has great flavors. Plus don’t miss the healthier candied pecans. It makes a delicious side salad or make a big old bowl for lunch.
Pears are something that we all enjoy – both of my sons love them as snacks, as do I. While we are pretty seasonal with many things, pears are something we will eat year round.
I like them in salads as well and the flavors of this pear gorgonzola salad with candied pecans feels fairly fall-like so it seemed fitting to share it now, although I would happily eat it any time of year. It’s quick and easy to make, particularly if you make the pecans ahead, and makes a great side or lunch.
Pear and gorgonzola are a common pairing, for good reason, and I love using beets in salads as well (like my beet apple salad and winter beet salad). The addition of the candied pecans in this salad makes it feel almost indulgent.
However these pecans are a pretty healthy version. Plus, you can made them ahead so this pear gorgonzola salad is super-speedy to put together when you want it.
How to make healthier candied pecans
The candied pecans are really quick to make – all you do is:
- Dry-toast the pecans in a skillet.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over them and quickly toss.
- Tip them on some parchment paper and let them cool.
You can keep them in a sealed box for a few weeks and use them on a whole range of things, such as this salad or as I have a few times, on top of my banana oatmeal.
Putting together the pear gorgonzola salad
The rest is as simple as chopping the pear and beets, whisking the oil, vinegar and maple syrup and putting it all together.
This pear gorgonzola salad is so easy to make and has a delicious sweet-savory balance. It makes a great side salad to a broad range of dishes, or make a big old bowl for lunch. So quick, so tasty, it makes a fantastic but easy change from your average salad.
Pear gorgonzola salad with candied pecans
For candied pecans
- 1/4 cup pecans 30g
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For rest of salad
- 1/2 pear
- 1 beetroot or 2 small, roasted or otherwise pre-cooked, peeled
- 2 handfuls arugula rocket
- 1 oz gorgonzola 30g (approx)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
For candied pecans (can make ahead)
- First prepare a baking sheet or other flat surface with some parchment paper. Toast the pecan halves or pieces in a dry skillet/frying pan for a couple minutes until they are starting to smell slightly toasted. Drizzle over the 1tsp maple syrup and toss the nuts so they are covered.
- Tip them on to the parchment and spread out so they are separated then leave to cool. The nuts can be made a week or two ahead and stored in an airtight container.
- Remove the core from the pear then cut into slices and dice the beetroot.
- Place the arugula in the bottom of your serving bowl/bowls, top with the beetroot, pear and crumbled gorgonzola.
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup and drizzle over the top then top with some pecans.