These prosciutto wrapped dates have only 3 ingredients, take no time to prepare and are a wonderful sweet-salty mix. They’re addictively tasty little bites, perfect for any occasion.
If you’re entertaining, it’s always good to have a few bite-sized appetizers that are easy to make to get things started. Some of my favorites include hot phyllo crab cups, steak crostini and oysters Rockefeller. These dates are another great addition, or quite honestly to eat any time.
I first had bacon wrapped dates a few years ago at someone’s house and was immediately in love. I mean, take two of my favorite things and put them together, they’re either going to be a horrible disappointment or turn out amazing. Thankfully, it was the latter.
This version with prosciutto and cheese inside makes them that teeny bit fancier, but with that same characteristic sweet-salty mix. They might not be the prettiest, but they are ridiculously simple to make and taste amazing.
How to make prosciutto wrapped dates
All you need to do is:
- Slice the dates lengthwise to take out the stone, fill the middle with cheese then wrap it with a length of prosciutto.
- Put the dates on a lined baking sheet and bake for around 15 minutes until the prosciutto is crisp and the cheese oozing.
Yes, some cheese might escape, but if you leave them to cool a minute you’ll find the cheese is still attached and so you can press it back in a bit or just nibble it as you eat the rest.
I filled some with goat’s cheese, and others with gorgonzola. I’d say gorgonzola probably works better and oozes less, but will be a little saltier so choose whichever you prefer. You can skip the cheese altogether, but I do think it’s worth adding if you’re remotely a cheese fan.
Whatever way you make these, you need to give these prosciutto wrapped dates a try. They’re so easy to make, and will disappear from your appetizer table in no time at a party. Plus they’re pretty great if you’re just feeling like a snack. Not that I have any experience of that one, of course. Enjoy!
Prosciutto wrapped dates
- 6 Medjool dates
- 2 slices prosciutto or 3, if needed
- 2 tbsp gorgonzola or goat’s cheese, as you prefer (approx)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Slice the dates on one side to open them up, remove the stones and any hard stem end.
- Slice each slice of the prosciutto into 2 or 3 long strips. Fill the cavity of each date with around 1tsp cheese then wrap around them with a strip of prosciutto.
- Pace the dates on a lined baking sheet and bake for approx. 15 minutes until the prosciutto is starting to crisp slightly. Leave to cool a minute before serving (don’t forget to press back in or leave attached any cheese that oozed out, you don’t want to lose it!).
Remember to pin for later!