These rosemary orange marinated chicken skewers are subtly flavored, tender and make a great variation on plain grilled chicken with minimal effort.
While we were away in June, I enjoyed trying some new dishes in Iceland, but given we were that far north, not too surprisingly there wasn’t a whole lot of grilling going on. Since we have been back, it has once again become our go-to way to cook on many nights. Firing up the grill/barbecue is so handy for cooking lots of easy but tasty meals, although as I mentioned when I shared my blueberry barbecue sauce, I have been trying to get a little more creative.
As well as trying sauces, I have been marinating a lot more, like these rosemary orange marinated chicken skewers. A simple marinade, pop them in the fridge then cook them up for a delicious, easy meal.
Chicken on the grill is definitely a common feature of our summer menus as it’s easy, tasty and something we all enjoy. I love that you can add bold favors, as with jerk chicken, or more fragrant ones like chicken satay for some really varied meals with the same base ingredient.
The marinade for these rosemary orange marinated chicken skewers adds a subtle but tasty flavor to the chicken and tenderizes it. Since the flavors are relatively mild, they are both easily enjoyed by various tastes and go with a broad range of sides.
The marinade is really easy to prepare, being simply orange juice, yogurt, honey, cumin and rosemary. Mix them together, add in the diced chicken then leave it all to marinade in the fridge. Both the orange juice and the yogurt help to make the chicken nice and tender. Then all you need to do is thread the chicken pieces on to skewers, with some slices of orange mixed in between, before grilling. The orange pieces add a nice bit of color and they taste good too.
These rosemary orange marinated chicken skewers are a nice variation on plain grilled chicken, and for only the tiniest bit of effort, so add them into your rotation of grilling recipes and enjoy.
Rosemary and orange marinated chicken
- 1 1/2 lb chicken 675g, thigh, breast or a mixture
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped or approx 1/2tsp dried
- 1/4 cup orange juice 60ml
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1/2 orange approx
- If it's not already diced, trim and dice the chicken in to roughly bite-sized chunks.
- Mix together the chopped rosemary, orange juice, honey, cumin and yogurt in a bowl or dish then add the chicken. Mix the chicken through the marinade so it is well coated all over. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour but you can prepare in the morning and leave all day.
- When ready to cook, cut the orange into slices and cut the slices into quarters (or smaller/larger so around the same size as the pieces of chicken). Thread the chicken and orange slices on to skewers, with the orange slices after roughly every two pieces of chicken.
- Grill until the chicken is cooked through, turning a few times so they cook evenly on all sides.
Try these other marinated grilled dishes: