I am so excited to share that I will be hosting this Sunday’s Sunday Supper which is a theme very close to my heart, Spanish tapas. Having both lived and traveled in Spain a few times, I think it’s maybe fair to say it’s the place that first stole my culinary heart. True, I always love learning new dishes from all over and have come to love various cuisines, but I think Spain was the place that really opened my eyes to the idea of food being such an integral part of daily life, but without it necessarily being complicated.
Tapas are fundamental to Spanish culture – it is very normal to meet friends or family in an evening and enjoy a couple of plates of tapas alongside your drinks before then going for a late full meal, or having a few more plates of tapas to make that your dinner. Because tapas are small plates, it’s a great way to sample and enjoy a few different dishes. ‘Tapa’ means ‘lid’ in Spanish and there are a couple interpretations on how tapas started. Some believe it’s from the lid of the casserole pots from which a little sample would be given to travelers as they stopped at inns and taverns on their journey around the country selling their wares or whatever else.
Another version, which is my preferred one whether true or not, was that a slice of bread was used as a ‘tapa’ ie lid to stop flies getting in your drink and over time the barmen would add a little something on top of the bread to try. Pieces of bread with a topping, or ‘montadillos’, are still very common in Spain particularly in the Basque region, and you still find the odd places where the little tapa is free with your drink. I think part of why I like this story better is these tapas are so very Spanish, while the other plates of tapas share a style of eating with other cultures eg in the Middle East and Greece where mezze are popular.
I have a tasty recipe to share with you on Sunday as do all the others who are taking part in the event – you can see the full list of titles below – so do come back to see all the recipes. In the meantime if you want to get in the spirit, see some of the other Spanish tapas recipes I have shared in the past (and learn more about different kinds in what are tapas) – Spanish chickpeas and spinach is one of my most popular recipes, and fideua (a kind of pasta paella) was shared at a previous Sunday Supper (while it’s not technically a tapas dish, it’s often served as one). Romesco sauce is a great accompaniment to many a dish and let’s not forget Spanish tortilla, gazpacho and the range of simple uncooked tapas I shared last year.
One of the particularly exciting things for me this Sunday is as well as sharing a new Spanish tapas recipe with you that I think you’ll love, I will also be sharing a Spanish meal at Tapa Toro in Orlando with some other Sunday Supperers following Food Wine Conference. I appreciate not everyone has the option of a good Spanish restaurant nearby, so that’s why it’s great to have all these tasty options to try at home. So give some a try!
See all the delicious Spanish tapas dishes being shared this Sunday:
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp by Our Good Life
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Pancetta Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricot Jam by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement.