Treat someone to this steak & egg breakfast skillet with sauteed radishes, carrots and radish green pesto – it’s a delicious balance of flavors, & easy too.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I’m not sure quite why, but when I read the theme for this week’s Sunday Supper as being recipes that either are your dad’s favorite or that your dad would like, I struggled to decide. It was deja vu from when I made pavlova for the mother’s favorite-themed Sunday Supper a few weeks back.
The things that came into my head didn’t help – my dad loves going to the game butcher to see what he can find, but we don’t have one locally and the game I can find is more suited to wintery cooking.
I debated a tongue-in-cheek sausage roll recipe after the time he and I were home alone when I was a child and he somehow managed to mess up cooking ready-made sausage rolls for our dinner (he enjoys his food but isn’t exactly a cook). I thought about what I had made when my parents visited a few months ago but much of it was things I have already shared.
In the end, I decided to go with the sort of thing I think he would like – a hearty, flavorful breakfast skillet with steak, egg, sautéed carrots and radishes and topped with some radish green pesto. It may be a mouthful of a name, but it’s a delicious many mouthfuls of a dish. And why should the brunch tradition be reserved for moms (or ‘mum’ to us Brits)?
The inspiration for this breakfast skillet
This breakfast skillet is partly inspired by a couple of things I had recently involving radishes that pleasantly surprised me. When I was at a conference there were some roasted radishes served as part of brunch one day that were really tasty.
Then more recently, as I mentioned when I shared my own version on Friday, I had an appetizer locally that had a nice radish green pesto. Given I received radishes, with greens, in our most recent vegetable box it seemed like fate that I had to do something with them.
How it’s made
I decided to sauté the radishes as I didn’t really want to put the oven on for a smaller amount, especially this time of year, and the flavor is similar. I added in carrots for a hint of sweetness plus they’re nice and colorful. It seemed only right to have steak in there since this is a meal for dads after all, and it does go really well with the vegetables anyway.
You can either cook the steak in the side of the pan or separately, then take it out to rest while you add in the egg. Slice up the steak, add it back on top then drizzle over a bit of the radish green pesto. The pesto has a slight sharpness to it that balances out the carrot’s sweetness and goes well with everything else. Plus, it adds to the color of the dish too.
This steak and egg breakfast skillet is all pretty easy to make and is a delicious combination of colors and flavors, fit for any dad or anyone else you want to spoil with a delicious, hearty breakfast/brunch. Or just make it for yourself, as why not. Whoever eats it, they’ll enjoy it and be back for more.
Try these other delicious brunch recipes:
- Eggs Royale (smoked salmon eggs Benedict)
- Bacon lobster omelette
- Breakfast strata with bacon and date
- Bubble and squeak (a kind of veggie cake of mashed potato, other veg and bacon)
- Plus get many more breakfast and brunch recipes in the archives.
Steak and egg breakfast skillet
- ⅓ lb sirloin tip 150g, 1 small; can be a bit bigger if you prefer
- salt and pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil or more as needed
- 4 radishes or more/less depending on size
- 1 carrot medium, scrubbed or peeled
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp pesto suggest radish green but can use other; or more/less as you prefer; see separate recipe - link above
- Lightly season the steak with salt and pepper on both sides and set aside.
- Warm the oil in a small skillet/frying pan over a medium heat. (Warm a second pan after a couple minutes of cooking if you prefer to cook the steak separately - see below)
- Remove the ends from the carrots and radishes. Cut the radishes in to quarters and slice the carrot in quarters lengthways, then each quarter into chunks roughly the same size as the radish pieces.
- Add the radishes and carrots to the pan and cook for around 3-5 minutes each side (the three main sides) until lightly brown.
- After you turn to the second side, either move the vegetables to the side of the pan and cook the steak in the side of the pan, or cook the steak in a separate pan. If cooking separately, add a little oil or butter to the pan if using a skillet/frying pan, or lightly rub oil on the steak before cooking if using a griddle pan (as I would suggest if doing separately). Cook for a few minutes each side until you achieve your preferred level of doneness then remove from pan to rest.
- After the vegetables have been cooking on their last side for a minute or two, create a small space in the middle of the pan and add the egg. Cook for a few minutes until the white is cooked through. If you want a more cooked yolk, baste it with the oil from the pan every minute or two by tipping the pan to the side to gather the oil then spooning over the yolk.
- Slice the steak across the grain then place over the vegetables, topped with a few drizzles of the pesto.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
Remember to pin for later!