These steak taco salad wonton cups are perfect handheld bites of delicious Tex-Mex salad in a crunchy wonton cup. A great gameday snack or party appetizer (and pretty healthy too).
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Every now and then I end up having to throw things out that I just haven't got round to using. It's something I hate doing, and in the past, would hardly ever let happen. I would always try to come up with a use for what we had. I still do, I'm just not quite as able to get round to doing all the things I plan.
As soon as I bought wonton wrappers to make a couple things recently, I remembered about having to throw away some dumpling wrappers last year when I made pork and cabbage dumplings. I knew I didn't want to do the same again so got myself on a mission to use them up.
I'd seen wonton wrappers used to make wonton cups before which seemed like a great idea. There are so many possibilities but these steak taco salad wonton cups make a delicious option.
A tasty gameday snack
We're not particularly in to food for watching football (or anything else, for that matter) in our house but if we were, I think these steak taco salad wonton cups would be perfect. They're handheld little bites with a tasty mix of salad in a fresh, limey dressing, seasoned steak and a crunchy outer shell.
True, the wonton cups are super crispy so you might want a plate to catch any pieces that fall off, but it's worth the effort.
How to make these salad wonton cups
These steak taco salad wonton cups might seem on the face of it that they are not all that quick, but really they are so easy. First you make the crispy wonton cups by putting the wonton wrappers in a muffin tin, brush them with a little olive oil then bake until crisp. Make the spice rub for the steak, rub all over then cook in a hot pan with a little butter. I prefer rare, as you can see, but cook to taste.
The salad is really easy to put together too - just chop the things that need chopped and mix together. I tend to mix everything a little before I add the avocado to avoid it getting too broken or bashed. Then, you just load the wonton cups with salad and put some steak on top.
Watch the video to see quite how easy it is to make these!
Whether you are looking for a fun, impressive-looking appetizer for your next party, a relatively healthy gameday snack or any other excuse, these steak taco salad wonton cups are sure to be a winner. A delicious mix of flavors, colorful and pretty good for you too, these are really worth a try.
Try these other handheld appetizers!
- Hot phyllo crab cups
- Cauliflower pakora
- Sesame shrimp toast
- Baked coconut shrimp with mango dipping sauce
- Plus get more inspiration in the appetizer recipes archives.
Steak taco salad wonton cups
- 12 wonton wrappers
- ½ tsp garlic pepper or ¼tsp each of ground pepper and garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ lb steak 225g, suggested sirloin but as you prefer
- 1 tsp butter 2g, approx
- 1 cup shredded lettuce approx 4 large leaves
- ½ tomato medium-large, diced
- ¼ pepper red, yellow or orange as you prefer, diced
- 2 tbsp black beans
- 5 steam cilantro/coriander leaves only
- ½ tbsp lime juice approx
- ½ tbsp olive oil approx
- ½ avocado diced
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Press the wonton wrappers into the holes of a cupcake/muffin tin. If your tin is not non-stick, you might want to brush with oil underneath. Use one wonton wrapper per hole. Note don't use a mini muffin tin as they will be too small. Brush the wonton wrappers lightly with olive oil. Bake for approx 8-10min until they are golden brown and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together the garlic pepper, salt and cumin and rub it all over the steak. Melt a little butter in a hot skillet/frying pan and cook for a few minutes each side. (Exact time will depend how well done you want it and how thick the steak is, from around 2-6min per side.) Remove the steak from the pan and allow to rest while you mix up salad.
- Put the lettuce, tomato, pepper, black beans and cilantro in a bowl. Drizzle over the lime and olive oil and mix. Once partly mixed, add the avocado and mix through.
- Spoon the salad into the crisped wonton cups. Slice the steak thinly (removing any fat/sinew as you go) and place a slice or two on top of each wonton cup.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Remember to pin for later!