Winter fattoush salad
A seasonal twist on a classic Middle Eastern salad, this winter fattoush makes a delicious side.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 min
Total Time16 mins
Servings: 2 -4
- 1 pita bread
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce (or green leaf lettuce)
- 1/2 cup parsnip once small dice, 1 medium parsnip (approx 80g once peeled and trimmed)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower once small dice (approx 65g)
- 1/2 apple
- 4 tbsp parsley roughly chopped, a small bunch
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic crushed/grated
- salt and pepper a little, to taste
Toast the pitta until really crisp, but not burnt. You can do this by cutting it up in to small pieces and drying out in the oven or else toasting under a grill, splitting open and toasting again then breaking up. Break in to small chunks either way and set aside.
Slice the lettuce fairly thin and place in a serving bowl.
Dice the parsnip, cauliflower and apple small and add to the bowl.
Roughly chop the parsley leaves and add to the bowl.
Make the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, oil, sumac, honey, grated or crushed garlic and some salt and pepper.
When ready to serve, add the pita chunks and dressing to the bowl and mix well.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 547mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 110.4% | Vitamin C: 62.6% | Calcium: 8.2% | Iron: 10.8%