Borscht is a really flavorful soup that's comforting and satisfying.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 4 cups water 900ml
- a few lamb bones
- 10 oz beetroot 285g, peeled and grated
- 8 oz carrots 220g, peeled and grated
- 4 1/2 oz turnip 125g, peeled and grated
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced and larger slices halved
- 4 oz cabbage 100g, white or red, or if you don't have any chard stalks are also good
- 1 handful parsley leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp sour cream approx, to serve
Bring the lamb bones to a boil in the water then reduce to a simmer. As you are waiting for the water to boil, prepare the vegetables.
Gradually add the vegetables as they are ready, beetroot first to allow it a little longer to cook.
Once all the vegetables are in, cook for approx 20min then remove the lamb bones from the soup.
Finally, add parsley and vinegar, stir and cook a minute more then serve with a dollop of sour cream on top of each bowl.
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 540mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 191.4% | Vitamin C: 30.6% | Calcium: 6.6% | Iron: 5.4%