Chocolate orange shortbread cookies
A delicious twist on shortbread that is easy and melts in your mouth.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 20 cookies, approx
- 4 oz unsalted butter 110g, 1 stick
- 2 oz sugar 55g, aprox 1/4 cup, I used brown sugar but regular, fine sugar is also good
- 4 oz all purpose flour 110g, approx 3/4 cup, I recommend Bob's Red Mill Organic All Purpose Flour
- 2 oz corn starch 55g cornflour, approx 1/2 cup
- 1/2 tbsp orange zest finely grated zest from 1 orange
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate 110g, you probably will not need all but to allow some depth to dip in
Cream the butter and sugar with a stand mixer, or use a handheld mixer/mash by hand. Don't worry if it is still a little grainy but it should be well mixed and have a slight sheen.
Add flour, corn starch/cornflour and orange zest and mix together so the zest is well distributed and dough comes together, but be careful not to overmix.
Press the dough into a log, approx 1 1/2in/5cm diameter, wrap in cling wrap/film and refrigerate for around an hour, or up to 3 days.
Shortly before ready to bake, preheat over to 350F/180C.
After chilling, carefully slice the log of dough into relatively thin slices (approx 1/4in/6mm) and place on a lined baking sheet with a little space between them.
Bake for around 10-12min until the cookies look dry and are just about starting to brown. Allow to cool a minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
Once cookies are completely cool, melt the chocolate in a small bowl (either over boiling water or in microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between). Dip the cookies into the chocolate one at a time, approximately a third to half the way in. Let excess chocolate drip off then lay on a cookie sheet or parchment to set. Repeat until all are coated, re-melting the chocolate as needed.
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 26mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2.8% | Vitamin C: 0.2% | Calcium: 0.4% | Iron: 2.8%