Sweet potato tacos with sprout slaw and chipotle cream
A delicious, easy vegetarian twist on tacos
Servings: 2 -4
- 5 oz Brussels sprouts 140g
- 4 spring onions green onions
- 2 tbsp cilantro coriander, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or canola/sunflower
- 2 cups sweet potato coarsely grated, from 1 medium sweet potato, approx 8 ½oz/ 240g
- ½ onion or 1 small, halved then thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp chipotle in adobo chopped canned, approx 1 pepper
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 8 small-sized corn or flour tortillas
Chop the end off the brussel sprouts and peel off any tough outer leaves. Halve the sprouts lengthwise then slice thinly. Chop the end off the spring onions and thinly slice.
Put the sprouts, sliced spring onions, chopped cilantro/coriander, lime juice and some salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well then set aside.
Heat the oil in a skillet/frying pan and add the grated sweet potato and sliced onion. Add the ground cumin and paprika and mix together.
Cook, stirring now and then, for around 10 minutes until softened and starting to brown slightly.
Meanwhile, chop the chipotle pepper (remove seeds if you want to make a little less hot) and mix with the sour cream.
Warm the tortillas - this is best done in a dry skillet/frying pan but can also be done under the grill or in the microwave.
Assemble the tacos by putting some of the sweet potato mixture on each, followed by some slaw and drizzle over the chipotle cream. Serve immediately.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 244mg | Potassium: 926mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 20540IU | Vitamin C: 74.1mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 3.9mg