Aji verde - Peruvian green sauce
Aji verde is easy to make with a wonderful balance of creaminess, freshness and a chili kick. Versatile and delicious.
Servings: 4 (or more - makes approx ½ cup)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves 16g coriander leaves (some thin stems also fine)
- 1 scallion green onion - green part only
- 1 clove garlic small
- ½ green chili eg serrano
- ¼ cup mayonnaise 60ml
- ½ tbsp aji amarillo chili paste
- 1 tsp huacatay paste (if available - omit if not)
- ½ lime juice ie juice from ½ lime
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp queso fresco or cotija, can use parmesan/mild feta as alternative
- ½ tbsp olive oil or use another mild oil
Remove cilantro leaves from the stems before measuring - some thinner stems are fine. Remove the white part from the scallion and any rough/dry end on the green part. Depending on your food processor/blender, I'd recommend roughly chopping the garlic, green chili and scallion stem before you make the sauce.
Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. You can use straight away or store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, or longer.
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 41mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg