West African peanut soup
A delicious, warming soup/stew made with peanut and sweet potato.
Servings: 3 - 4
- ½ onion large
- 13 ½ oz sweet potato 390g (approx, use 1 large sweet potato)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic , crushed/finely grated
- ½ tablespoon finely grated ginger (approx 4cm piece)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes 240ml
- ¼ cup unsalted unsweetened peanut butter 4tablespoon
- 2 cups light stock 480ml
- 2 tablespoon cilantro/coriander chopped
Dice the onion relatively small and peel and dice the sweet potato.
Warm the oil in a stock pot/pan and add the onion. Cook for a couple minutes until it is starting to soften then add the sweet potato. Stir, cook a minute or two then add the garlic, ginger and cumin. Stir well.
Cover and reduce the heat. Allow the sweet potatoes to sweat a couple minutes then add the tomatoes and peanut butter. Mix through well then add the stock.
Bring to a simmer then cover and cook for around 15min (more or less depending on size of pieces) until the sweet potato is tender. You can leave the soup chunky if you prefer, but I prefer to largely mash the sweet potato through so it is fairly smooth. Before serving, add the cilantro, mix through and serve.
Note - if you'd like it a bit spicier, you can add some of your favorite hot sauce when you serve it.
Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 333mg | Potassium: 905mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 18210IU | Vitamin C: 12.8mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 2.7mg