This delicata squash soup is easy to make and tastes delicious, especially topped with curried chickpea & onions. Perfect for lunch on a cold day.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
You might find it a little odd to know that despite the fact I write this blog week after week, and am fairly organized in planning what I post, I frequently don't know what I'm eating for lunch.
Especially at the weekend, somehow, unless I specifically want to make something I am looking to post, I usually think about it a few minutes before.
Part of the reason is that we often go to a park or museum so we may eat out or take a packed lunch. Or at least that's what I like to tell myself, I guess.
However recently, we have had more days at home over lunch. One of my go-tos this time of year is soup and this delicata squash soup was a delicious recent creation.
Using delicata squash
Delicata squash is a squash I am newer to, but it's one I have grown to love and use in various ways. It has a lovely mellow, slightly sweet flavor and best of all, it's easy to prepare as you don't need to peel it. The skin is relatively thin and edible.
How to make this delicata squash soup
This soup really could hardly get easier as all you do is:
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet and roast it until tender.
- Blend it up with some stock and that's it for the soup.
For the topping:
- Cook the onions in a little oil until soft and lightly caramelized.
- Add the chickpeas and curry powder and cook a little more before adding it to your soup.
This delicata squash soup is easy to make, smooth and tasty. The chickpeas and onions add a touch of warmth, as well as a nice contrast in texture. The soup has a relatively mild taste with all the creaminess you'd expect from a squash soup, without any cream (in fact it's vegan).
So add some brightness to your day and make some soon!
Looking for more smooth squash soups? Try these!
- Roasted apple and acorn squash soup
- Easiest lemongrass squash soup
- Butternut squash soup with apple, sage and thyme
- Plus get more seasonal inspiration in the fall recipes archives.
Delicata squash soup with curried chickpeas and onions
- 14 oz delicata squash 400g (1 squash)
- ½ onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chickpeas 4tbsp
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 cup stock 240ml eg vegetable, chicken
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Lay on baking sheet/tray cut side down and roast for 30min until tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion and cook in the oil about 15min until gently brown hen add the chickpeas. Cook another couple mins then add curry powder. Stir and cook a minute or two then remove from heat.
- Once the squash has cooked, to ensure it is smooth, you can scoop it out of the skin before blending. Or, roughly chop it and put in a blender with the stock. Blend until smooth.
- Serve topped with the onions and chickpeas.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
And if you enjoy soups, here are some more ideas:
- Asian Diet Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Grandma's Copycat Kelly's Cheese Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Rotisserie Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder from The Frugal Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm