Many sauces have the ability to transfer an otherwise good meal into something great, and chimichurri is definitely one of them. The South American sauce is incredibly easy to make, and while traditionally paired with steak it also goes well with chicken or fish and, as we had here, grilled butternut squash and zucchini. Grilling gives the first flavor lift, and the chimichurri takes an otherwise quick and easy throw-together meal into delicious, almost restaurant-rivaling dining.
This is a meal that partly came about from what I had in the house, but I was tempted to try grilled butternut squash anyway, since sweet potato works so well (as in my Cuban quinoa bowl). Both have that great ability to take on various different flavors well and go with a broad range of herbs and spices. Zucchini is one we often grill as well (like in my Israeli couscous with grilled vegetables) and I was pretty sure it would be good with chimichurri too. And that was certainly the case.
How it’s made
This is nice and quick to make – the sauce ingredients are just whizzed up in a blender/food processor, or chopped finely by hand if it’s too small a quantity for your machine. The steaks just need a gentle seasoning of salt, pepper and olive oil then pop them on the grill. Cut the zucchini thickly and put on the grill (spotting a theme?). The butternut squash can be done entirely on the grill, but I think it’s a bit tricky to get it cooked without being overly charred so I prefer to pre-cook it a bit. You can either steam or cook in the microwave, then finish on the grill. Oh, and don’t bother peeling it as the thin skin is completely edible and becomes pretty tender when cooked.
This grilled butternut squash, zucchini & steak with chimichurri sauce is so easy, so flavorful and makes for a delicious, balanced meal. Easy enough for a week night, delicious and special-feeling for a date night, it’s a meal you’ll want again and again. Oh, and if you feel like a slight variation, try my chimichurri marinated beef skewers too. And if you join my mailing list, you’ll get this and other great, easy sauces in a free e-book (as well as new recipes direct to your inbox each week):
- 2 steaks - we had NY strip steaks
- ½ medium butternut squash
- ½ large or 1 small zucchini/courgette
- chimichurri sauce -
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- ½ cup cilantro/coriander leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tbsp fresh)
- 1½tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½tbsp lime juice
- a dash of salt and red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pat the steaks dry then lightly season with some salt and pepper and drizzle a little olive oil over and rub it all in. Do the same on both sides.
- Cut the butternut squash into round slices about ½in/1cm thick - don't bother peeling - and pre-cook either by steaming or putting in the microwave (put in a microwaveable dish with a little water for a minute or two then test and turn as needed) until just tender and cooked.
- Cut the zucchini into thick-ish slices (on the diagonal can be good to make them easier to handle on the grill).
- Make the sauce by blending everything apart from the oil in a blender/food processor until pretty finely chopped but not a paste, or chop finely by hand. Add the oil and pulse to combine.
- Grill the squash, zucchini and steaks on the grill until the vegetables are lightly charred and the steaks are cooked to your taste.
- Serve with the chimichurri sauce drizzled over the top.
See all the other easy recipe ideas:
Savory Snacks and Sides:
- Acorn Squash, Black Bean and Spinach Quesadillas by Our Good Life
- Copy Cat: Momma’s Nachos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cream Cheese and Peach Chutney Pastry Cups by Soni’s Food
- Easy Peasy Cole Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Fruit & Cheese Platter by The Freshman Cook
- Olive Tapenade by Whole Food | Real Families
- Semi-Homemade Baked Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Smoked Salmon Spread with Sourdough Baguette by A Gouda Life
Labor Free Main Dishes:
- Ace of Clubs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy and Tasty Filet Mignon on the Grill by Family Foodie
- Easy Baked Spaghetti for a Crowd by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Greek Salad Endive Boats by Casa de Crews
- Grilled Butternut Squash, Zucchini and Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pesto Chicken with Fennel & Tomato Couscous by Books n’ Cooks
- Simple Cheese Enchiladas by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Simple Grilled Rosemary Shrimp by Nosh My Way
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Mustard Barbecue Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes by Food Done Light
- Spicy Thai Noodles by Momma’s Meals
Sweet Treats and Drinks:
- Apple Spice Dump Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Blender Chocolate Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- Coconut Martini by Desserts Required
- Creamy Coconut Popsicles by Food Lust People Love
- Eiskaffee by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Healthy Grab’n’Go Breakfast Muffins by Happy Baking Days
- Mango Salad with Crystallized Ginger by MealDiva
- Mini Pavlovas by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Step Vanilla Sauce by Magnolia Days
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Bars by Pies and Plots
Labor Free Labor Day:
- 10 Store-Bought Cooking Shortcuts by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.