For any regulars, you may have seen I am going to be going to the Food Wine Conference again in a few short weeks. If you’ve a good memory, you may also remember that they’ve had contests in the past for the conference, and when I saw there was going to be one to make a cocktail or mocktail using berries, I knew I couldn’t resist. This bashful blueberry cocktail is a bit of a mash up between things like a Manhattan, a whisky sour and a whisky smash, but the end result is a really refreshing cocktail that’s perfect for summer.
In case you missed my previous post on the Food Wine Conference, I’ll soon be joining a number of fellow bloggers and foodies in Florida for the fifth Food Wine Conference, and it looks set to be a great event. There will be good food, friendly people and great speakers in a lovely setting. I’m sure there may be the odd drink too, and this bashful blueberry cocktail is definitely one I’d happily enjoy in Florida’s heat. Yes, it’s good a decent level of alcohol in there, but it is also refreshing from the blueberry, lemon and hint of basil. You could have it as a short drink just over ice if you like, but I think it works best topped up with soda for a more refreshing, longer drink.
Wish Farms are back as a sponsor and have come up with this fun contest to create a cocktail or mocktail featuring their delicious berries. I debated about using a few different berries but in the end decided to keep it simple with blueberry. That said, I’m sure you could use this same base with all of their berries (strawberry, blueberries, raspberries and blackberry) for slight variations on the theme. The rest of the flavors will complement the berries perfectly. I used basil in my basil peach margarita and love the fresh flavor it adds to a drink.
How it’s made
I’ve called this the bashful blueberry since the berries are gently smashed in the glass with the basil leaves. Next add in the lemon, sugar and spirits and give it a stir. Add some ice then top up with soda water. You’ll see I’m using vermouth again, as I did in my blushing rose vermouth cocktail. Yes, I have a soft spot for the slightly under-appreciated drink but it’s flavor also going really well here.
This bashful blueberry cocktail is easy, refreshing and with a great flavor. It’s definitely being added to my summer drinking list – add it to yours!
The bashful blueberry cocktail
- 1/4 cup blueberries 4tbsp
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 oz lemon juice 2tbsp
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup whiskey 2oz/60ml, suggest Irish but can be bourbon or a non-peaty Scotch whisky
- 1/2 cup dry white vermouth 4oz/120ml
- 1/2 cup soda water 4oz/120ml , approx
- Divide the blueberries and basil between two glasses. Muddle them together until the blueberries are well broken up.
- Add 1tbsp lemon juice, 1/2tsp sugar, 1oz whiskey and 2oz vermouth to each glass and mix. If you have time, it's worth chilling the mixture at this point to allow the flavors to mingle a little better. Around an hour would be great, but if you can't you can still serve immediately.
- When ready to serve, add 2-3 ice cubes to each glass and top up with soda water.
Try these other tasty cocktails:
By posting this recipe I am entering a competition sponsored by Wish Farms via Food Wine Conference and am eligible to win associated prizes. I received no compensation for this post.
Remember to pin for later!