This bacon corn pizza has a double doze of corn for a less than typical but incredibly delicious slice. It's a flavorful sweet-salty mix that's addictively good.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before, but there's a pizza place near us that we go to fairly often that always has slightly unusual flavors for their specials. They always draw on seasonal ingredients and at some time or another, we had a corn pizza which I remember enjoying.
Of course it's now so long ago that I can't remember exactly what they put on it (other than corn, of course), but it has stuck with me that I wanted to make a version of it. And now I finally have.
It was definitely worth the wait.
On the face of it, you might not think this is that unusual a pizza as neither corn nor bacon are that unusual toppings, but this pizza has a twist. There's no tomato sauce, but instead the 'sauce' is made from pureed corn. And believe me, it works really well.
I can't remember if the corn pizza we had before had bacon on it or not, but I mean bacon. If it wasn't there, it should have been. Bacon is pretty much always good, as you might have seen in some of the many recipes I've shared, like apple bacon jam, bacon onion spaetzle, bacon lobster omelette and apple and bacon cornmeal scones. It's appeared on other pizzas I have made too, like my bacon jam, pear and butternut squash pizza.
Any excuse, in other words, and today being international bacon day it was kind of a must, really.
How to make bacon corn pizza
There is a little preparation work needed for this, as you need to cook and puree the corn and cook the bacon ahead of time. But after that, it's really easy to assemble.
- Cook and puree the corn.
- Spread the pureed corn over the base.
- Add the cooked bacon, chunks of mozzarella, corn and scallions/spring onions.
- Top with some grated parmesan or pecorino and bake.
- Once it's cooked, top with a little cilantro/coriander for an extra burst of freshness.
See just how easy it is to make in this short video:The corn rather than tomato base here gives such a delicious, slightly sweet base that goes perfectly with the salty bacon. Add in some cheesy goodness and believe me, this corn pizza is seriously good. Just make it, you won't regret it.
Like pizza? Me too! try these other ideas:
- Lahmacun (Turkish meat-topped pizza/flatbread)
- Fall pizza
- Caramelized onion and gorgonzola pizza
- Spanish pizza (Catalan coca)
- Plus get lots more meal ideas in the main dishes archives.
Bacon corn pizza
- 8 oz pizza dough
- ⅔ cup corn (⅔ cup is around 1 cob)
- 4 oz smoked bacon streaky
- 2 scallions spring onions
- 2 oz mozzarella
- 2 tablespoon corn canned or frozen is fine
- 2 tablespoon parmesan or pecorino, grated
- 1 tablespoon cilantro coriander, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425F/220C. Cut a piece of parchment to match the size of a large baking sheet/tray and place the baking sheet/tray in the oven to warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the corn for the base - ideally grill it, but you can also microwave a cob (add a small piece of butter, wrap in plastic wrap/cling film and microwave on high approx 1min) or use frozen or canned corn and boil it for a minute or two. Either way, allow to cool a little, remove kernels from cob if using fresh, then puree the kernels until smooth. This can also be done ahead of time.
- Cook bacon as you prefer - oven, broil or grill. Drain excess fat and cut into slices.
- Slice the scallions/spring onions and cut the mozzarella into slices and break into chunks.
- Roll out the dough as thin as possible and place on the pre-cut parchment, making as large as possible without getting holes. Spread on the corn puree almost to the edges then top with the bacon, scallions, mozzarella and remaining corn, covering evenly.
- Top with the grated parmesan or pecorino. Transfer the pizza on the parchment carefully onto the warm baking sheet/tray and bake approx 15-20 minutes until the crust is lightly brown and the cheese on top is starting to brown. Top with the cilantro/coriander, slice and serve.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
See all the other bacon inspiration being shared today for International Bacon Day:
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus from A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Skillet from Amy’s Cooking Adventure
- Hot German Potato Salad with Bacon from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Pasta Carbonara Torte from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roast Beef, Ham and Bacon Club Sandwich from Family Around The Table
- Surprise Biscuits from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Warm Bacon Gruyere Dip with Caramelized Onion and Chive from Bear & Bug Eats
- Wilted Lettuce Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Palatable Pastime
Remember to pin for later!