I called this a fall pizza because of the squash, cranberries and comfort factor, but really it’s so tasty I could eat it any time. A delicious combination of flavors, it’s definitely one to add to your pizza night menu.
While we don’t have pizza night all that often, when we do it’s always popular. The kids are a little stuck in their ways with pepperoni but I try to mix things up for us, at least.
In late summer, my bacon corn pizza was a favorite, along with things like Spanish pizza (Catalan coca). Then in previous years I have tried a few fall-inspired pizzas like my bacon jam, pear and butternut squash pizza and beet, blue cheese and bacon pizza. All good and nicely different.
This time rather than using a vegetable to make a base as in my other fall pizzas, I decided to go with a more classic tomato base but still give it a fall feel on top. It most definitely worked.
Now I’ll be honest, this isn’t a pizza you just pull the toppings out the fridge and put them on top. There is a bit of pre-cooking involved. However you can easily do this ahead of time so you are all ready to go when it’s time to make the pizza.
How to make this fall pizza
- Roast the squash and cook the sausage and onions – I suggest doing these ahead of time.
- Flatten the pizza dough and put on a lined baking sheet.
- Spread over the tomato sauce.
- Top with mozzarella, onions, squash, sliced sausage and dried cranberries.
- Sprinkle over the parmesan/pecorino and bake until the crust is golden.
Ways to make this quicker
You can easily speed things up a little by buying ready-made pizza dough and ready-cooked sausage. If you’re organized, you could also add some squash in the oven as you’re cooking something else and cook some extra onion, if that fits, then set aside.
Whether you speed things up a little or not, however, this fall pizza is one incredibly tasty bite. With a little sweetness, a little spice and lots of comforting goodness, this is one pizza you need to try.
Fall pizza with sausage and squash
- 5 oz butternut squash 140g (peeled weight)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 hot Italian sausage (or other flavorful sausage, approx 4oz/110g)
- 1/2 onion medium, or 1/4 large
- 8 oz pizza dough 225g (homemade or bought)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce 60ml (or tomato passata)
- 2 oz mozzarella 60g
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup parmesan 15g, approx (or pecorino)
Ahead of time (suggested)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Peel and de-seed the squash and cut into small chunks. Put in a small oven dish in a single layer and toss with around half the oil. Roast for approx 30 minutes until tender and just starting to brown. Set aside (can be cooled and stored in fridge overnight).
- Cook the sausage as you prefer - broil/grill/pan fry until cooked through. Set aside and slice in medium slices.
- Thinly slice the onion and fry in a small skillet in the remaining olive oil until soft and just starting to brown. Set aside.
When ready to cook
- Preheat oven to 425F/220C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flatten out the pizza dough and spread out as thinly as you can on the parchment. Top with the tomato sauce leaving a thin edge without sauce.
- Top the tomato sauce with the cooked onions, roasted squash and sausage slices, spreading them out evenly. Slice up the mozzarella and dot over the pizza.
- Sprinkle over the cranberries and then top with the parmesan/pecorino. Bake for approximately 20 minutes in the middle of the oven until the crust is golden brown.
I’m excited to be sharing this recipe as part of Cranberry Week – now in it’s third year! See all the tasty cranberry recipes being shared today below and follow #cranberryweek on social media for more ideas all week long.
- Bourbon Cranberry Sauce from Cookaholic Wife
- Cranberry Apple Pie from The Redhead Baker
- Cranberry Almond Shortbread Tart from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cranberry Cheese Ball from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cranberry Chipotle Glazed Baked Salmon from Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Ice Cream from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Cranberry Orange Bread from The Saucy Fig
- Cranberry-Orange Glazed Ham from Cooking For My Soul
- Cranberry Orange Scones from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Fall Pizza with Sausage and Squash from Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Cranberry Almond Squares from Family Around the Kitchen
- Hot Spiced Cranberry Orange Cocktail from The Gingered Whisk
- Lamb Lollipops with Cranberry-Apple Mostarda from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Maple Honey Cranberry Sauce from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Quinoa with Turkey, Brussels Sprouts & Cranberries from Books n’ Cooks
- Real Cranberry Gummy Bears from Daily Dish Recipes
Remember to pin for later!