Blueberry curd is a beautifully bright variation on lemon curd that’s a wonderful way to brighten up your toast. It’s easy to make, and with a gentle blueberry and citrus flavor, it’s a great change from jam.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Lemon curd is something I grew up with as it’s relatively common in the UK. I think my mum quite liked making it too, and I have to say there’s something slightly therapeutic about stirring it as the butter melts and the curd starts to thicken.
The biggest reason, though, of course is that it tastes delicious. Fruit curds are a wonderful blend of typically citrus fruit with an egg and butter base to make a wonderfully smooth, rich and creamy spread.
Lemon curd is a big favorite, with its wonderful gently-sweet citrus flavor. It helps that I’m a big fan of lemon in particular, whether with savory dishes or sweet.
I’ve seen a few variations on the theme and felt blueberry was just too pretty to pass up. It does involve an extra step compared to the regular lemon version, but the result is both such a fantastic color and tasty, I for one think it’s worth the little extra effort.
How to make blueberry curd
- Put the blueberries in a small saucepan with the lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Cook around 5 minutes until blueberries pop.
- Strain to give a blueberry-lemon puree and let it cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg and egg yolk. Add the sugar and blueberry-lemon puree. Whisk until well mixed.
- Put the blueberry-egg mixture over a water bath (bain Marie), add the butter in cubes and warm.
- Cook gently, stirring, so the butter melts and curd thickens.
- Once it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, remove from heat and transfer to jar(s).
See the video to walk you through it
I’ll be honest, I’m not sure the blueberries add a massive amount of flavor, but I do think they come through slightly. And either way, there’s no doubt this blueberry curd is both an amazing color and delicious.
This blueberry curd is perfect on toast, scones or whatever else might need brightened up. Try and enjoy!
Looking for more jams and ways to top your toast? Try these:
- Strawberry peach jam
- Basil ricotta toast
- Strawberry raspberry jam
- Golden beet and avocado toast
- Mango jam
- Plus get more ideas in the snack recipes archives.
- 1 cup blueberries 150g
- 1/4 cup lemon juice approx 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lemon zest ie from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar 4tbsp, or a little less if you prefer
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter 30g, cut into small chunks
- Put the blueberries and lemon juice in a pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for around 5 minutes until the blueberries pop, then remove from heat and press through a fine strainer/sieve. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat together the egg and egg yolk in a small bowl. Add the sugar and whisk until bright then add the lemon blueberry mixture and lemon zest and mix. Add the chunks of butter.
- Put the bowl over hot water in a pan so that the water comes up the sides of the bowl but doesn't come in, and the bowl is not touching the bottom of the pan. Stir regularly as the butter melts then constantly as the mixture starts to thicken.
- It's ready when thick enough to stick to the back of a spoon, around 5min.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
More Blueberry Week Recipes
- Blueberry Liege Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Buttermilk Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes by Palatable Pastime
- Glazed Blueberry Donut Muffins by Sweet Beginnings
Drinks and Appetizers
- Blueberry Basil Bourbon Smash by Cookaholic Wife
- Blueberry Bubble Tea by Our Good Life
- Blueberry Lemon Naan Bread Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Blueberry Syrup with (Optional) Bourbon by Food Above Gold
- Roasted Blueberry French Toast Crostini by Daily Dish Recipes
Sauces and Spreads
- Blueberry Barbecue Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Saucy Honey & Balsamic Blueberry Jam by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Blueberry Bison Chili by Savory Moments
- Blueberry Romaine Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Curry Burgers with Blueberry Chutney and Coconut-Lime Slaw by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- 5-Minute Blueberry Cheesecake Dip by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Blueberry Cardamom Crisp by Crumb Top Baking
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cooking For My Soul
- Blueberry Cobbler by Family Around the Table
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blueberry Peach Oatmeal Bars by The Beard and The Baker
- Blueberry, Peach & Brie Slab Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vegan Blueberry Orange Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy
Remember to pin for later!