Ricotta toast has become a bit of a trend, and I’ll admit I resisted at first. But with an elegant twist like this, I’m a convert. This basil ricotta toast elevates the basic idea and is an easy, simple, fresh and tasty snack or lunch.
You may have seen me mention before that I’m usually not the first to jump on trends and am instead a bit more skeptical. However I’ll sometimes try them over time and come round to them.
Take Buddha bowls, for example – it’s really just a trendy way of saying a mix of grain, protein, veggies and a sauce as many cultures have been doing for years, like the Korean sashimi rice bowl, hoedeopbap, I shared. And I’ve run with the idea in my leftover steak and quinoa bowl (a particular favorite) and crab rice Buddha bowl.
Avocado toast is another – open sandwiches, like Danish smørrebrød, have been around for ages, so it’s no big leap to use avocado. And while I haven’t shared in it’s simplest form, my golden beet and avocado toast is still one of my favorite bread-based dishes.
This basil ricotta toast gives it a bit of a run for it’s money, though. Especially when you factor in how easy it is.
How to make this basil ricotta toast
- Whip together the ricotta, lemon zest and juice and shredded basil;
- Toast the bread;
- Spread the ricotta mixture on the toast.
- Although not absolutely needed, I love it topped with a little oil and slow roasted tomatoes.
As with many things so simple, it’s all about ingredients. I found some fantastic local ricotta to use as a base, some great sourdough bread and made some slow roasted tomatoes to top them off. The little bit of basil and lemon in the ricotta give a lovely freshness and it all goes so well.
Basil ricotta toast is such a simple dish that’s perfect as a snack or light lunch. You can even make the ricotta mixture ahead of time and put it in a small container to take with you so you can make this on a picnic or at work. Because it’s not just kids lunch box ideas we need, right – lunch should be tasty for all! (By the way, try one of these make ahead salads as another great lunch/picnic idea).
Basil ricotta toast
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/2 lemon zest ie from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice or a little more to taste
- fresh basil finely chopped
- 4 slices bread I used sourdough, which worked well, or a wholegrain would also be good
- a little olive oil to top
- a few slow roasted tomatoes optional
- Whip together the ricotta, lemon zest, lemon juice and finely chopped basil until well mixed.
- Toast the bread until it's lightly toasted then top with the ricotta mixture. Drizzle on a little olive oil and top with some slow roasted tomatoes (optional but highly recommended!)
Remember to pin for later!