This lamb kofte burger is the perfect burger for when you want something that bit different. Not only are the flavors delicious, but you can cheat a little with ready-made components, or make it more from scratch as time allows.
This post is part of a giveaway hosted by GirlCarnivore; opinions remain my own. This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
I’ve said before that lamb is definitely one of my favorites, and I particularly like how it is incorporated into many Greek, Turkish and Middle Eastern meals. This kofte burger is a simple twist on some classics from the region, and I can assure you the result is delicious.
What’s in this lamb kofte burger?
- Lamb kofte – formed into burgers rather than on sticks
- Muhammara – a delicious red pepper walnut dip/spread
- Fattoush – a classic Middle Eastern salad
- Pita bread
As I say, one of the great bits about this is you can cheat a little to speed things up. Or, if you have a little more time make things from scratch. You can find ready-made muhammara at many supermarkets, though it’s really quick and easy to make with the recipe above.
While I haven’t seen fattoush ready-made, you can certainly find tabbouleh which would also work well.
How to make the lamb kofte burger
The kofte burgers themselves don’t take long to prepare as you simple add everything in a bowl and mix it together. Don’t be afraid to get your hands in there to mix it all up! I definitely recommend making yourself rather than trying to get ready-made in some form or another, as they’re easy to make.
You can – and in fact I recommend – make them ahead and put in the fridge until needed. The chilling helps them to firm up and for the flavors to mingle. Then it’s a quick cook and put them all together.
If you haven’t had muhammara before, it’s a delicious and versatile dip or spread. As I say, it’s super easy to make yourself. That way you also get to decide if you want to add a little heat or not. You can swap this out for tzatziki, hummus or something else if you prefer, but I really would recommend the muhammara here as the flavors are that bit brighter.
This lamb kofte burger is a simple and delicious mix of aromatically spiced lamb, crunchy salad and flavor-packed muhammara all in a soft pita. So change up your burger night soon with this tasty mix.
Try these other tasty, unusual burgers:
- Lamb burgers with feta sauce and minted tomato salsa
- Maple turkey burgers with bacon and apple
- Chicken satay burgers
- Plus get more grilling, salads and other ideas for the season in the summer recipes archives.
Lamb kofte burger
For the kofte burger
- 1/2 onion grated
- 2 cloves garlic crushed/finely grated
- 2 tbsp mint finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb 450g lamb mince
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
For fattoush salad
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves shredded and long slices cut
- 1 radish thinly sliced
- 1/2 tomato diced
- 1/6 English cucumber quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tbsp parsley roughly chopped
- 1 radish halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/2 clove garlic grated/crushed
- 6 tbsp muhammara
- 4 pita bread (I used slightly smaller rounds here)
For the burgers
- Grate the onion, grate or crush the garlic and finely chop the mint and parsley (note quantity is after chopping).
- Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well - I'd recommend using your hands and really knead the mixture kind of squeezing it to get all the ingredients well mixed.
- Divide the mixture in to four and press each quarter into a flattened ball (burger shape) and refrigerate for around 20 minutes or so to firm up a little.
- Heat the grill to a medium heat and cook the kofte a few minutes each side until lightly charred and the meat is cooked through. Alternatively, you can cook them on a grill pan.
For the salad
- Combine the chopped romaine lettuce, radish, tomato, cucumber and parsley in a bowl.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon, sumac, honey and garlic and drizzle over the salad. Toss to combine. (Note can be prepared ahead)
- Lightly warm the pita, if you like, then split open on one side. Spread one half of the inside of each pita with muhammara and then add a cooked burger and a good handful of salad.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
I’m excited to be sharing this post as part of #Burgermonth – the giveaway is now closed, but head over to burgermonth for a full links to all the burgers.
Plus follow #burgermonth all of May to see all the burger ideas from the following participants:
🍔 Girl Carnivore 🍔 A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures 🍔 A Simple Pantry 🍔 Abra’s Kitchen 🍔 AcadiaTwo’s Kitchen Antics 🍔 An Affair from the Heart 🍔 Bakersbeans 🍔 Betsi’s World 🍔Caroline’s Cooking 🍔 Cindy’s Recipes and Writings 🍔 City Living Boston 🍔 Cluttercafe 🍔 Cooking With Carlee 🍔 Convos with Karen 🍔Daily Dish Recipes 🍔 Dance Around The Kitchen 🍔 Dixie Chik Cooks 🍔 Dizzy Busy and Hungry 🍔 Doodlecraft 🍔 Everyday Eileen 🍔 Family Around the Table 🍔 Family Food on the Table 🍔 Family Spice 🍔Farmwife Feeds 🍔Food Above Gold 🍔 For the Love of Food 🍔 Grillax.com 🍔 Grilling Montana 🍔 Grumpy’s Honeybunch 🍔 Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks 🍔 Honeybunch Hunts 🍔 HORNS BBQ 🍔 Intelligent Domestications 🍔 It Is a Keeper 🍔 Jolene’s Recipe Journal 🍔 Jonesin For Taste 🍔 Juggling Act Mama 🍔 Karen’s Kitchen Stories 🍔 Kate’s Recipe Box 🍔 Krazy Kitchen Mom 🍔 Life Anchored 🍔 Life of a Ginger 🍔 Mildly Meandering 🍔 Miss in the KItchen 🍔 Palatable Pastime 🍔 Pastry Chef Online 🍔 Perspective Portions 🍔 Plowing Through Life 🍔 PNW Eats 🍔 Pook’s Pantry 🍔 Real Life With Dad 🍔 Sarah’s Cucina Bella 🍔 Seduction In The Kitchen 🍔 Simple and Savory 🍔 Souffle Bombay 🍔 Spiced 🍔 Spoonabilities 🍔 Strawberry Blondie Kitchen 🍔 SueBee Homemaker 🍔 Sumptuous Spoonfuls 🍔 Sweet ReciPeas 🍔 Swirls of Flavor 🍔 Take Two Tapas 🍔 Tampa Cake Girl 🍔 Taste And See 🍔 The Baking Fairy 🍔 The Beard and The Baker 🍔 The Complete Savorist 🍔 The Crumby Kitchen 🍔 The Heritage Cookbook Project 🍔 The Redhead Baker 🍔 The Rowdy Baker 🍔 The Schmidty Wife 🍔 The Shirley Journey 🍔 The Spiffy Cookie 🍔 This Farm Girl Cooks 🍔 Thyme for Cocktails 🍔 We are not Martha 🍔 Well Fed Baker 🍔 West Via Midwest 🍔 Who Needs A Cape? 🍔 Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen 🍔 Wok & Skillet 🍔
Remember to pin for later!