Don’t think this Southwest steak bowl is a pile of lettuce with a few beans and steak on top. Oh no, this is one hearty and delicious bowl of goodness, but it’s also one of the easiest meals you will make this summer. Because we all need easy, tasty meals.
Thanks to Mann's for sponsoring this post. This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
While my eldest son is just in preschool (until fall), they follow the school year and so have the same big summer break. This year he will have a little time in camp and we have a trip, but there will also be plenty of time when it’s Camp Mommy.
I can see it being even busier than last year now that he’s even more into his bike (since training wheels are off), and his little brother is running all over the place too.
Between busy days and warm weather, I know there will be plenty days when I’ll be needing to throw dinner together quickly, and I doubt I’m alone. If you're hot, you don't really want to cook, right? At least turning on the oven is not high on the list for sure.
This time of year is more about keeping things simple and quick. But that doesn't need to mean boring. This Southwest steak bowl is definitely not short on flavor, and there’s minimal effort thanks to a little help from Mann's Nourish Bowls.
While I prefer to make most things from scratch, that kind of goes out the window a little when it's hot. Let's face it, we can do without the extra effort. So how do you still get tasty meals? Simple ingredients, a bit of advance preparation, and the occasional shortcut. Part of the reason I make most things myself, is I like to know what is in things and that they are good ingredients.
So if I find a good 'cheat' that still meets that, I'm all for it. Mann's Nourish Bowls are just that - lots of great ingredients that make mealtimes a lot easier. They come in a few different varieties so you can mix up the flavors. I've gone for the Southwest Chipotle bowl here but do try the others too. They all have lots of fresh veggies, a tasty sauce and cook up in the microwave in just 3-4 minutes.
I’ve topped the bowl with an easy marinated steak. Ideally, you want to marinade the steak for a good few hours (it takes just a minute so easy to prep in the morning) but even 30 minutes will be a good start. Grill it up, leave it to rest while you add some extra corn and avocado to the cooked Nourish Bowl - if you have some extra black beans, add them too. Then slice the steak and top your bowl.
This Southwest steak bowl is a hearty, delicious bowl of goodness that makes the perfect quick meal on a busy night. Lots of flavor but little effort: the best combination.
Try these other tasty ways with steak:
- Cuban cube steak - bistec de Palomilla
- Steak crostini with mushroom pate and truffle oil
- Leftover steak and quinoa bowl
- Plus get more 30 minute meals in the archives.
Southwest steak bowl
- ½ lb steak 225g (I used sirloin steak tip but other cuts eg flank steak would also work)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic small (approx ½tsp), crushed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 Mann’s Southwest Chipotle Nourish Bowls
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup frozen corn 4tbsp
- ¼ cup black beans 4tbsp, optional
- Put the steak in a small container/bowl or zipable freezer bag. Add the lime juice, olive oil, garlic and cumin and move the steak around so it's evenly coated. Cover, put in the fridge and leave to marinate ideally through the day/overnight but at least 30min.
- When almost ready to eat, warm the grill (or a grill pan) and allow the steak to come to room temperature for a couple minutes. Cook the steak for approx 3-5min each side, depending on thickness and how well done you like your steak.
- While the steak is cooking, cook the Southwest Chipotle Nourish Bowls according to packet instructions. Peel and dice the avocado.
- Once the steaks are cooked, set them aside to rest for a couple minutes while you add the corn and black beans to the warm bowls (the heat will defrost and warm the corn). Mix through then add the avocado and cheese from the Nourish Bowls.
- Slice the steaks and serve up the loaded Bowls with the steak on top.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Thanks to Mann's for sponsoring this post.
Remember to pin for later!