Trying to be healthier doesn’t have to mean lots of work or tasteless options. This apple banana smoothie is thick, fruity, and really easy to make using common ingredients. It’s almost like drinking apple pie!
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
My kids are big fans of smoothies and view them as a bit of a treat. I’m all for keeping up that view! They go through phases when they want them all the time, then other times forget them completely.
But if they see the blender going, even if it’s not a smoothie, it often plants the seed of the idea. Their heads pop up to have a look and a smoothie is often requested soon after.
I’ve made a number of different smoothies before and most of them have become quick favorites like my easy dairy free green smoothie.
Apple is not particularly common in smoothies as it seems some people find it gritty, which I can understand happening.
However I’ve had success before in my wild blueberry apple crumble smoothie bowl when I combined it with oats and yogurt. I think the added thickening of the oats helps avoid any gritty taste.
The same is true here, and with the banana as well, it makes a deliciously naturally sweet smoothie. A pinch of cinnamon adds a slight warmth and helps give that hint of the flavor of apple pie.
How to make an apple banana smoothie
Making this apple banana smoothie couldn’t be easier. All you do is:
- Peel and core an apple and peel a banana;
- Put the apple juice, yogurt, apple, banana, oats and cinnamon in a blender;
- Blend until smooth.
Smoothies are a great quick and easy way to fuel you up for the day or to have a satisfying snack without the effort. They are great for getting those who might not be that in to fruit to eat some, too. For my kids, that’s far from a problem, but drinking them does encourage a bit more variety.
You can also hide veggies in them, plus if you need to up your protein or fiber, adding some ingredients higher in those can be a great way to sneak a bit more in.
You can make smoothies as simple as you like, or add in a big old mix of ingredients. Have them ice cold with frozen fruit or ice in there, or simply gently chilled as with this one. True, not all combinations work out, but some most definitely do and are worth repeating, like this one.
This apple banana smoothie is an easy and delicious combination your whole family will love. It’s the perfect way to start the day, or fuel you up for more. Serve in a bowl, or drink from a glass – either way, enjoy!
Looking for more smoothie recipes? Try these!
- Cranberry smoothie
- Tropical fruit smoothie
- Easy dairy free green smoothie
- Mango dragonfruit smoothie bowl
- Plus get more drinks recipes in the archives.
Apple banana smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 apple eg Gala
- 1/4 cup apple juice 60ml
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt 60ml (I used Greek but any OK)
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Peel the banana and peel and core the apple.
- Put the apple juice, yogurt, oats, banana, apple and cinnamon in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve chilled.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline’s Cooking Amazon store.
Enjoy cooking with oatmeal? You’re in luck as we’re all about oatmeal for today’s Foodie Extravaganza:
- Coconut &Banana Oat Pancakes from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Irish Oatmeal Brulee from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Oatmeal Crusted Chicken Strips from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Oats & Split Green Moong Chillas/Pancakes from Sneha’s Recipe
- Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Oatmeal from Making Miracles
- Spicy Cheesy Bacon Oatmeal from Food Lust People Love
I first shared this recipe for Apple Banana Smoothie on Sunday Supper Movement where I am a contributor.