This carrot, sweet potato mushroom soup is smooth, warming and delicious. Quick to make and perfect for a cold day, it's a flavorful bowl of goodness.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Let's make soup!
Apparently it's national soup month, and between that and the weather, it's definitely a day to share a soup recipe. I know I am not alone in often making soups out of what I have to hand, but sometimes I do follow recipes, honest. Or have a bit more of a plan about things I want to put together.
This hearty vegetable soup is one of the slightly more planned ones, and the result was so good.
I don't know about anyone else, but I have found that since I have started this blog in particular, I find myself seeing recipes and immediately either thinking how I could adapt it or that it reminds me I like a particular ingredient and must find a use for it again soon.
Sadly I also end up thinking about ideas as I am trying to get to sleep as well. Not particularly helpful for sleep, but it does come up with some nice ideas like this.
We have been big in to sweet potatoes recently, partly as my son has decided he likes them so it's one to embrace, but I am a big fan as well. They are great at any time, but particularly in the colder months, they have that fantastic warm smoothness that is so comforting and the flavor works with lots of others.
Mushroom soup is one that I always remember fondly from when I was younger as having a similar comfort value, so I decided to try them together. Carrot I more added for something a little lighter and brighter in the mix.
The resulting soup was a delicious, smooth and warming bowl that is perfect for colder days, like today for us. We have a blizzard here and my toddler son is feeling a bit sorry for himself with a cold. And of course, he has kindly passed it on to me as well. So, we are staying inside and eating lots of comforting foods like this.
So, have a dig in the back of your cupboard and refrigerator and see if you have the ingredients to make this carrot, sweet potato mushroom soup - it won't take you long to make and even less time to enjoy.
Looking for more comforting soups? Try these!
- Butternut squash soup with apple, sage and thyme
- Brussel sprout soup with crispy bacon and chestnut
- West African peanut soup (made with sweet potato)
- Sopa de ajo (Spanish garlic soup)
- Plus get more winter recipes in the archives.
Carrot sweet potato mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon butter 10g approx
- 1 onion
- 8 oz carrots 225g
- 10 oz sweet potatoes 280g
- 6 oz mushrooms 170g
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoon flour
- 1 pint stock 450ml
- ½ cup milk 120ml
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Dice the onion and add to the pan.
- While the onion is cooking, peel the carrots and sweet potatoes and medium dice. Add to the pan and stir as they are ready.
- Cover the pan and allow the vegetables to sweat for a couple minutes.
- Meanwhile dice the mushrooms. Add to the pan, check that there is a little fat and if need be add a little more butter or oil.
- Stir and cook a minute, cover and sweat another minute, then add the spices and flour.
- Stir well then add the stock. Cover, bring the pan to the boil and reduce to a simmer for around 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and blend.
- Add the milk and serve.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.