I’ve mentioned before how I love getting persimmon at this time of year. They have such a wonderful flavor and color that’s great for adding a bit of brightness to your winter plate, or just to enjoy as a tasty snack. When this week’s Sunday Supper theme was announced as easy Holiday party recipes, I quickly decided I wanted to make a persimmon appetizer. After a bit of thought on quite what to put with the persimmon, I came up with this easy persimmon appetizer with minted mascarpone and it was so good. Tasty flavors and a lovely mix of textures, not to mention colors perfect for any Holiday appetizer selection.
Having first tried persimmon as a child, I didn’t have them again for years as I didn’t really see them. Or if I did, they were overpriced and/or bashed-up looking. More recently, though, they seem to have become more common so I’ve started eating them more regularly. I’ve used them in a few recipes, from persimmon ginger sorbet to a winter beet salad. They also made a tasty addition to my Jerusalem artichoke and persimmon stuffing. But they have such a great flavor and texture, they are also perfect to snack on as they are.
How it’s made
This easy persimmon appetizer is a simple mix of flavors that’s so easy to make. All you do is mix together some mascarpone, mint, lemon juice (or Meyer lemon, as I had, for a slightly mellower, sweeter flavor) and honey. Slice up the persimmon, put a spoonful of the mascarpone mixture on top and sprinkle on some chopped pistachios and pomegranate seeds. That’s all there is to it, but it tastes so much more impressive.
See the video to see quite how quick and easy it is!
This easy persimmon appetizer is so colorful and pretty, it makes a great addition to any appetizer selection you might be making. Plus the fact it’s so quick to put together and tastes great, there’s no real loss to making a few and so much to gain. You get all the great flavor of the fruit that you enjoy with just the right amount of complementing flavors and textures to make it one special little bite. I know I for one will be whipping up a few again soon, even if they are just for me.
Try these other festive bites:
Easy persimmon appetizer with minted mascarpone
- 3 tbsp mascarpone
- 4 fresh mint leaves , finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or Meyer lemon juice, as I used, or lime)
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 persimmon (recommend fuyu for this)
- 1 tbsp pistachios shelled, unsalted, roughly chopped (approx)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds (approx)
- Mix together the mascarpone, chopped mint, lemon juice and honey until well mixed.
- Remove the end from the persimmon and slice it into disks.
- Put a heaped teaspoon of the mascarpone mixture onto each slice. Top with a few pieces of pistachio and pomegranate then serve.
See all the other easy Holiday party recipes being shared today:
- 3 Ingredient Citrus Salad by Wholistic Woman
- Caprese Dip by The Freshman Cook
- Goat Cheese & Basil Stuffed Peppadews by My Life Cookbook
- Mom’s Cheese Ball by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mushroom Pate by Simple and Savory
- Candy Cane Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Lemon Bundt Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Nutella Cookie Bars by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Sweet and Salty Toffee Bark by Pies and Plots
- Cheese Ball Pops by Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Bacon Jam Crostini by Life Tastes Good
- Cranberry Bratwurst Bites in Cranberry Jezebel Sauce by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Healthier Sausage Crescent Bites by Momma’s Meals
- Hoisin Beef Purses by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Jalapeno Potato Poppers by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Spicy Sausage Tarts by A Mind Full Mom
- St. Louis Ravioli by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Tuna Salad Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Loaded Pizza Stew by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Roast Chicken with Scallions and Mushrooms by Asian In America
- Simple Christmas Pizza by Cooking Chat
Remember to pin for later!