This grilled chicken and blueberry salad is healthy, easy to make & full of delicious flavors from the lemon-feta dressing to berries & nuts. It makes a wonderful lunch, but works any time.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
Around this time of year, I start to tend towards lighter things for lunch. While I like salads, I am not a huge fan of plain greens (although my super green kale salad is an exception).
That said, I am a fan of simple and easy. Just interesting at the same time, which this salad definitely is. With a great mix of textures and flavors, it's that happy balance of that bit different, easy to make and delicious.
Bring on the cheese!
We're a bit of a cheese-loving family, as you might have seen. I find it can add something to salads, too, though it has to be used in the right way. That might be just a little as in my grilled nectarine and arugula salad, or more obviously like the goat's cheese toasts in my spring salad.
Cheese can be great in dressings too, by adding a lovely rich creaminess and flavor. And the lemon-feta dressing in this might be my favorite so far. It's a little sweet, a little tangy and creamily good.
It pairs perfectly with everything else in this salad, from the juicy berries to the crunchy walnuts. Though I can see it working with many other combinations, too.
Steps to make this grilled chicken and blueberry salad
This salad comes together in a few easy steps:
- Grill the chicken, until cooked through - this can be done ahead. You could also use leftover roast chicken, for example, instead. But I do recommend the grilled flavor if you can manage it.
- Whisk up the dressing until blended. It may be slightly lumpy due to the feta, but should still hold together.
- Chop the lettuce, chicken and avocado and layer over the arugula, along with the walnuts and blueberries.
- Drizzle over the dressing and serve.
There's not a lot to chop and you don't need many ingredients. Plus, you can easily adapt it to taste as well. Try almonds or pecans instead of walnuts, or mixed greens instead of arugula. Though I admit I do really like the combination here.
Meal planing and picnicing
One of the additional great things about this salad is that most of the ingredients hold up really well to being prepared ahead. The only exception is the avocado, but you could either skip this or add it last minute.
You can grill extra chicken to make this salad a few times during the week. The arugula, blueberries and walnuts take just a minute to mix but you can also have them sitting ready ahead of time in the fridge.
This would be a great salad to take with you for a potluck or picnic as well. You can either pre-mix the salad, or else put the dressing in a separate container to add before serving. it makes a great salad to take with you to work or on a picnic too.
As the weather is increasingly better, this is definitely set to be on my menu for lunch more and more. And while I love its ease and tastiness, I also appreciate the ingredients are mainly healthy as well. True the dressing is a little more indulgent, but it's worth it, I promise.
The flavors and textures of this grilled chicken and blueberry salad all work so well together. It's got sweetness, savory, crunch and squishiness. It's satisfying, easy and with plenty great ingredients - in other words, there are so many reasons to love this.
Enjoy salads that work as a meal? Try these!
- Vietnamese chicken salad
- Chicken and bacon salad
- Poached salmon salad
- Thai waterfall beef salad (nam tok)
- Plus get more lighter meal ideas in the lunch recipes archives.
Grilled chicken and blueberry salad with lemon-feta dressing
- 2 handfuls arugula rocket
- ¼ cup walnuts 32g
- ½ cup blueberries 80g
- ¼ apple (large)
- ¼ avocado or ½ small
- 1 small chicken breast or 1 large tender, grilled until cooked through (I used a griddle pan but can also do on grill/bbq; you can uses pre-cooked as well but home-grilled has a better flavor)
For the dressing
- 1 oz feta 30g
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Place the arugula in a bowl and scatter over the walnuts, broken into pieces if not already small along with the blueberries.
- Core the apple, slice relatively thinly and cut the slices into small pieces. Cut the avocado into chunks and slice the cooked chicken once it has cooled. Scatter all on top of the arugula etc.
- Crumble the feta and whisk together with the lemon juice, olive oil and honey until fairly smooth. Pour/spoon over the salad and serve.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
This recipe was first shared in April 2017 and has been updated, primarily with new photos and video.