This kale salad is made with so many greens, from apple to edamame & seeds. They all come together to make a super healthy, tasty lunch/side salad.
So I don’t know about anyone else but now and again I feel the need for something super healthy to get over whatever heavy food we might have been having recently. Maybe we went out for pizza and then had a big old BBQ – all tasty and delicious but my stomach is feeling heavy. True, that’s kind of the case all the time for me just now carrying around a big old bump but you know what I mean. That said, I still want something that tastes good. I don’t believe in eating healthy being some kind of punishment. That doesn’t make any sense to me. This super green salad is a perfect example – it’s choc full of lots of great stuff, your tummy is almost smiling at you while you eat it.
OK, maybe this picture is a bit cheesy, but this is one tasty salad! It came about partly as we had kale in our veg box again. We get it quite often and I do like it for various recipes. However I’ll admit I’m not one of those people that gets all ecstatic about it. I still feel my list of how to use it is somehow short and I particularly felt in need of a new salad recipe. A few of the cafes around about us have variations on kale salad that gave me a couple of ideas, and with a final inspiration being the shelves of the supermarket I came up with this.
Yes, it’s a very green salad, but what a range of greens! There’s sweet-tart apple, soft and slightly salty edamame, peppery microgreens and crunchy seeds. All brought together with a tasty herb, tahini and lemon dressing.
How it’s made
This super green kale salad is also easy to make as there are only a couple things to cut, the dressing takes a quick mix then you bring it all together. The quantities are more of a guide than exact as you can adapt it to your taste, depending on what you like more or less of (or what you need to use up!). The ingredients themselves can be changed up as well, of course, but I do like the mix of textures and flavors here.
Overall this a tasty salad that’s also very good for you, and definitely one I’ll have again whether I’m feeling the need for super-healthy or not. It’s great for lunch on a warm day as it’s so nice and fresh. It isn’t heavy but doesn’t leave you feeling hungry. Crunchy, full of flavor and easy too. I hope you’ll give it a go and enjoy the delicious combination of flavors, with a side of feeling virtuous too.
Super green kale salad
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp basil chopped
- 4 tbsp parsley chopped
- few grinds of black pepper
- 5 oz kale 140g
- 1/2 apple suggest a relatively sharp but with some sweetness eg cox, pink lady
- 3 ribs celery
- 2 oz edamame 60g, pre-cooked
- 1 oz microgreens 30g
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- First, make the dressing. Whisk together the tahini, oil and lemon juice until combined then add the finely chopped basil and parsley along with some pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Remove the stems from the kale then thinly slice the leaves into ribbons. I find it easiest to stack a few leaves at a time, roll them and then slice. Put the cut leaves in a salad bowl.
- Core then slice the apple and cut the slices into thin sticks. Slice the celery then add both to the bowl along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Re-stir the dressing as it may well have separated then pour over the salad. Mix well to ensure kale in particular is well coated then serve.
Try these other tasty salads:
Remember to pin for later!