This grilled nectarine salad is a delicious combination of sweet fruit, punchy arugula, crunchy fennel and pine nuts and meltingly tangy goat's cheese. Easy to make and a delicious change to your usual sides.
This post may contain affiliate links, where we earn from qualifying purchases. See more details in the policy page.
We love grilled vegetables as a side to grilled meat and fish, but sometimes a salad is just what you need (like one of these make ahead salads). Especially on warmer days, I for one just want something light and easy.
Since the grill is on anyway, this grilled nectarine salad is a perfect fit for a summer meal. It's incredibly fresh and tasty and goes really well with grilled meats such as steak, as we had here. With a delicious balance of sweet nectarine, crunchy peppery arugula, goat's cheese and pine nuts, you'll be wanting it any time you can.
I look forward to nectarine and peach season every year. I've loved introducing my son to them as well, even if I then have to clean up the mess!
They make a great ingredient in cooking as well, with grilling and baking really bringing out the flavor, like in grilled peaches with mascarpone or peach and pistachio tart. They're also great in drinks like basil peach margarita and peach lassi. This grilled nectarine salad is another great way to enjoy them without too much effort.
How to make this grilled nectarine salad
This is a really quick salad to make without too many ingredients, but it all comes together and feels surprisingly complex. I think it's the mix of textures and fact you have fruit, cheese, nuts and vegetables in there. All you do is:
- Whisk the simple dressing and toss the nectarines in some before grilling them.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts, cut the fennel and crumble the goats cheese.
- Put the arugula and fennel in the serving bowl and drizzle over the rest of the dressing. Toss together.
- Top with the pine nuts, crumbled goat's cheese and sliced grilled nectarines.
All incredibly simple and quick. If you can employ someone as a grillmaster, you can have the rest done while the grilling is going on and then bring it all together to serve.
What to serve with this salad
We had this with a lovely ribeye steak from our meat box, and the lightness and flavors in this salad were a perfect accompaniment, but it would also go with other meats and fish. You probably don't want to pair it with anything too elaborate given the mix of flavors in here, but do experiment and see what you like to enjoy it with.
The flavors of this grilled nectarine salad are incredibly tasty and fresh. They work so well together and it's a real bowlful of summer. A delicious mix of textures, from the soft fragrant nectarine to the crunchy, peppery arugula and the little crunch of pine nuts. We will definitely be enjoying this again as the nectarine season progresses when we get back.
Looking for more summer-ready salads? Try these!
- Grilled chicken and blueberry salad
- Caprese quinoa salad with beet and avocado
- Grilled peach salad
- Prosciutto salad with peach and mozzarella
- Plus get more tasty summer recipes in the archives.
Grilled nectarine salad
- 2 nectarines ripe but firm
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil virgin or extra virgin
- 2 ½ oz arugula rocket
- ½ bulb fennel small
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 oz goats cheese
- Carefully cut the nectarines in half and remove the stone. In a small bowl, whisk together 1tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 1tbsp of olive oil and dip the nectarines in the mixture and toss them around. Grill them for just a few minutes each side until they are lightly colored.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining vinegar and oil to the leftovers from tossing the nectarines and whisk.
- Put the arugula in a salad bowl. Thinly slice the fennel and cut larger slices in half or smaller. Add them to the arugula and mix. Drizzle over the balsamic dressing and toss well.
- Toast the pine nuts either in a dry skillet/frying pan or under the broiler/grill for a couple minutes until lightly browned. Keep an eye on them as they burn quickly. Add them to the salad.
- When cooked, cut the nectaries into slices and add to the salad. Crumble the goats cheese on top and serve.
See some of my favorite cooking tools and ingredients in the Caroline's Cooking Amazon store.
Caroline, this salad looks and sounds so delicious! Yum, I can't wait until nectarine season! 🙂
Love that sweet and sour combination with the rocket and nectarines. Looks perfect for summer!
Thanks Amanda, it is indeed so summery.
I love grilling fruit, it gives it such a wonderful flavour and nectarines are particularly good! The dressing sounds super yummy too!
I agree, grilled fruit have such a great flavor and the nectarines here are a delicious addition to this salad.
Wow, grilled nectarines sound irresistible! I often find myself buying more fruit than I can easily use in the summertime, so I'll have to keep this recipe in mind!
Grilled is definitely a great way to enjoy them, I hope you give this a try and enjoy!
I love adding fruits to my salad! This looks so refreshing. And I planted arugula. I hope the bunnies haven't discovered it. They've made a few meals out of my peas!
Thanks, Angie, I agree they're great in salads. Fingers crossed for your arugula! I'm hoping to enjoy some of our sugar snap peas when we get back!
I enjoy the flavors and natural sweetness of fruits when you grill them. I have made a few desserts but adding them to a salad would really intensify the taste 🙂
Thanks, Judi. I agree they are nice in dessert too, but also nice in salads like this. There's a nice balance of sweet and savory.
I have yet to try putting stone fruit in my salads let alone grilled ones! Your salad looks absolutely scrumptious! I can't wait until mid-summer when they start getting riper so I can try some! Happy FF thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Cynthia. Grilled nectarines and peaches are so tasty and work so well in this salad. I'm looking forward to local ones too!
I have tried her amazing salad. Also tried it on steak slices with this delish salad. So good.
Glad you enjoyed! Thanks
Thanks, Michelle, it is really tasty!
In my house we have a deep and sincere passion for nectarines... in my mind (and in my stomach too) is not summer without nectarines around. Your salad is very intriguing, I will make it very soon!
I can understand that feeling, Margy! I hope you enjoy the salad, it's one I really like and perfect for summer.
I love this combination! I first saw a salad with grilled fruit (he uses peaches) and arugula in a cookbook by Michael Chiarello. It is masterful.
Thanks, Liz, they do go well together.
Grilled nectarines or peaches are both so tasty! Absolutely delicious salad!
Thanks, Mila, I agree, they're great. And work so well here too.
Oh my! This is a super delish salad, Caroline!!! I want a serving, please. Have fun at FF! 🙂 xx
Thanks, Jhuls, it is really tasty and no problem sharing some!